"Progressive" Lawmaker Wants Presumed Organ Donation Consent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Organ donation is pro-life. This would save lives, so I support such a law... Once you're dead you don't have any rights, especially to organs you no longer need.

So a girl gets raped and murdered, no rights huh? :rolleyes:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I'm sure many people don't sign up for donating because of apathy rather than some principle. The same people won't opt out of donating.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
So a girl gets raped and murdered, no rights huh? :rolleyes:
What are you possibly trying to say here? Of course the dead person has no rights. Her estate has some rights as long as it exists, but dead people have no rights. I suspect you might be arguing something like a right to justice or some other such sentimental nonsense. I hope not, so I'm not going to prop it up as a straw man and argue against it. Could you clarify your intent?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
This is pretty lame. They should not just take peoples organs to donate, the way it is now is fine. Opt In if you are ok donating. I for instance have the little donor sticker on my license, I have no problem donating my organs. I don't know who would want them, but they can have them when I'm done with them. The thing is that's MY choice to make not some politicians.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
What are you possibly trying to say here? Of course the dead person has no rights. Her estate has some rights as long as it exists, but dead people have no rights. I suspect you might be arguing something like a right to justice or some other such sentimental nonsense. I hope not, so I'm not going to prop it up as a straw man and argue against it. Could you clarify your intent?

An estate isn't alive. Why does an estate, which is just as alive as a dead person have rights?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Why is it that folk who are worth less than their organs are worried?

I'm sure that they will spend some time with distilled spirits to bring the worth of their organs back in line with the rest of them.

It will take quite a bit...

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
This is pretty lame. They should not just take peoples organs to donate, the way it is now is fine. Opt In if you are ok donating. I for instance have the little donor sticker on my license, I have no problem donating my organs. I don't know who would want them, but they can have them when I'm done with them. The thing is that's MY choice to make not some politicians.

NO! The government owns you once you die. It can violate your dead body in any manner it wants. Post nude pics of your dead body? Have people rape and savage the body? All a resounding yes!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Yes it is your choice, that's why you have the ability to opt out. But why would the default be opting out?

If you are minding your own business driving down the street and see someone trapped in a burning car, you have an obligation to help, no opting out of saving a life. This law wouldn't even go that far, because it lets you opt out of saving someone's life

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

NO! The government owns you once you die. It can violate your dead body in any manner it wants. Post nude pics of your dead body? Have people rape and savage the body? All a resounding yes!

You still have a choice: opt out if you wish.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
An estate isn't alive. Why does an estate, which is just as alive as a dead person have rights?
It has an interest" to execute the will. The rationale is not much different from the reason why a corporation has legal rights. Did you really intend to go into the whole "only people should have rights" thing? It's quite a boring discussion.

And you still didn't answer: what exactly was the point of your "raped and murdered" thing? I just don't see any connection to the discussion at hand.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
You still have a choice: opt out if you wish.

No you don't understand. It is MY body I make the choice BEFORE HAND not to SHARE my body PERIOD it is MINE regardless if I die or not. So the option shouldn't be out it should stay the way it is in.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
No you don't understand. It is MY body I make the choice BEFORE HAND not to SHARE my body PERIOD it is MINE regardless if I die or not. So the option shouldn't be out it should stay the way it is in.

It is a nice concept but it often doesn't happen. The cases from funeral homes that re-sell body parts without anyone knowing are endless.
Huge market even for dead parts.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
jeez louis. Why is it that I have to specifically state that my body be buried? Shouldn't that be the presumption?

I for one don't understand the whole burial fascination. Why isn't the default cremation?

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
It is a nice concept but it often doesn't happen. The cases from funeral homes that re-sell body parts without anyone knowing are endless.
Huge market even for dead parts.

Makes you wonder if those "closed casket" funerals even have a body in them at all. :D

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I have a novel idea. How about we let people sell their rights to their own dam organs? Then government won't have to steal it.

Ah, knew we could count on you to support the insane idea of commercializing organs. Need next month's rent check? Sell your spleen! It's the American way!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This has been shown to dramatically increase Donor Organs. If people have Religious or other reasons not to Donate their Organs, it is simple to Opt Out. No big deal.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
I don't want my organs donated and never will donate them. It should be a clear option to either say yes or no. No opting in or opting out without the OFFICIAL YES OR NO from the person.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I am not a big fan of the "automatically opted in" bullshit but they let the banks do it and assrape consumers with fees, at least this actually helps people.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
WOW! That's a shocking conclusion. :rolleyes:

It is, except for not the reasons you may think. Fact is, most people have no problem Donating their Organs if you ask them, but having them Opt In to a Donation Program introduces a Dilemna that prevents most people from following through.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't want my organs donated and never will donate them. It should be a clear option to either say yes or no. No opting in or opting out without the OFFICIAL YES OR NO from the person.

Then Opt Out, no big whoop.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
And if for some reason someone misses the option and they are opted to donate and they didn't want to, that's not wrong? That's idiotic. There should be a clear YES AND NO check box and one HAS to be checked.

If you miss something in front of you, then your Bad. I suppose a Yes/No is fine, but I find yours and others objections to be ridiculous.