Programs that don't work yet with Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: nordloewelabs
so SuperAntiSpyware doesnt work on Win7 yet....

what about Spybot?
what about the free versions of AntiVir, Avast or AVG?
what about Firefox, Foxit, Winamp, VLC, MPC, PeerGuardian, SyncBack, Notepad++?

i'm asking because those apps are very popular among geeks. i'll have Win7 installed by Wednesday, so, if no one has tried those apps by then, i'll come back and report my results.

avg free and firefox (with adblock) are working fine for me.

Win7 32-bit

cudzich09

Banned
Feb 20, 2008
Programs that dont work on windows 7 (64 bit)
-Old Skype, get the beta version, it works fine
-PunkBuster, I installed it with COD4, now I cant play on any server with PB turned on
-Deamon Tools

Programs that do work on windows 7 (64 bit)
-UltraIso (works great and mounts images just fine)
-Utorrent
-Skype, beta version
-Avira AntiVir Premium
-Rocket Dock
-Your Uninstller Pro 2008
-Adobe Acrobat Reader
-WinRar 3.80

(These are the programs which I installed and work 100%)

I will add more.

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: cudzich09
Programs that dont work on windows 7 (64 bit)

Programs that do work on windows 7 (64 bit)

is that what you really meant?

Edit: nevermind. i gotta go back to 1st grade.

ShOcKwAvE827

Jul 28, 2001
winrar works for me in 32bit.
ffdshow didn't work when i dl'd by itself. I installed klite codec pack and it works fine.

Ordskii

Nov 20, 2007
ESET NOD 64 av doesn't load properly with win& 64 bit - couldn't find files it said, at update (though it loaded OK it would not update to latest files)

AVAST home appears to work - and Comodo 64

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Any programs that use OGL + ATI + W7 64bit, do not work.......................................................

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Cali3350
Its quite blocky. Their is obviously NO filtering of any sort going on. And ffdshow doesnt work. It makes me sad :(

In that case I think ViRGE's suggestion to install DivX and Xvid form their respective web sites might be the solution you are looking for.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
so SuperAntiSpyware doesnt work on Win7 yet....

what about Spybot?
what about the free versions of AntiVir, Avast or AVG?
what about Firefox, Foxit, Winamp, VLC, MPC, PeerGuardian, SyncBack, Notepad++?

i'm asking because those apps are very popular among geeks. i'll have Win7 installed by Wednesday, so, if no one has tried those apps by then, i'll come back and report my results.

Firefox, Foxit and VLC all work perfectly fine in Win 7 so far.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
suggestion for some programs. I just tried to install my audio software and the program would not install saying it only supported XP/Vista.

Then in properties run it as Vista compatibility mode and it worked. Probably won't work for most, but for somethign that refuses to install it may work(it actually thought I was running Windows ME for some reason).

This.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Newsrover version 13 doesnt work well, tried compatibility modes all the way back to win 98/me, that one gave me something I've neer had before a GSOD (green screen of death) what happened to blue? anyhow with windows 95 compatibility mode at least newsrover doesn't crash the system but it still isn't working perfectly. of coruse the base code for this app seems to be ancient, bit it worked well enough in vista x64

Looks like I'll need a new news reader client, any suggestions? with searching capibilities such as newsrover

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Kingbee13
Newsrover version 13 doesnt work well, tried compatibility modes all the way back to win 98/me, that one gave me something I've neer had before a GSOD (green screen of death) what happened to blue? anyhow with windows 95 compatibility mode at least newsrover doesn't crash the system but it still isn't working perfectly. of coruse the base code for this app seems to be ancient, bit it worked well enough in vista x64

Looks like I'll need a new news reader client, any suggestions? with searching capibilities such as newsrover

Have you tried Windows Live Mail as your news reader? It has a search function built right in too.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: Cali3350
Its quite blocky. Their is obviously NO filtering of any sort going on. And ffdshow doesnt work. It makes me sad :(

In that case I think ViRGE's suggestion to install DivX and Xvid form their respective web sites might be the solution you are looking for.
Just to add to that, it's going to be harder than just installing XviD/DivX(I just tried it). The MS codecs are installed at merit 0x800001 (normal merit is 0x800000) so XviD/DivX still don't get used when installed. The merit on the MS codecs seems to be locked, so you'll need to bump up the merit on XviD/DivX to 0x800002 or higher using GSpot 2.7.

Only once they have a higher merit than the MS codecs will any DirectShow players use them.

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: ViRGEThe MS codecs are installed at merit 0x800001 (normal merit is 0x800000) so XviD/DivX still don't get used when installed.

can the MS codecs be removed?

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
i just tried to install nTune and its a no go. BSOD right when i accepted the user agreement thing in the nvidia control panel. Although RivaTuner works just fine.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: covert24
i just tried to install nTune and its a no go. BSOD right when i accepted the user agreement thing in the nvidia control panel. Although RivaTuner works just fine.

ntune didnt BSOD on my 9300, but it doesnt really support the anything but the graphics on the 9300 in Vista either. :p

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is it just me, or does the cleartype control panel applet not actually work? I can pick the most outrageously light or dark font setting, and it doesnt appear to change anything in practice, even after a reboot.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Hyperlite
What about songbird, Ultramon, and Picasa?

well if anyone is curious, songbird WORKS, picasa WORKS, and ultramon DOESN'T WORK.

also, Desktop Coral is not working. I may be overlooking a simple "sidebar" feature here, could someone clue me in?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGEThe MS codecs are installed at merit 0x800001 (normal merit is 0x800000) so XviD/DivX still don't get used when installed.

can the MS codecs be removed?
Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it since I don't know if anything is hardcoded to use them. It's easier just to install XviD and set the merit higher.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Adobe pdf reader works fine.
If your wireless HP printer software will not install,
just go to printers - add printer - and it may find and install
your wireless without vender software. My hp J4680 would
only install by adding thru win7 "add printer".

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
How did you get Adobe Reader to install? I tried installing Adobe Reader 9 straight from their website and it wouldn't install. Each time I selected a different compatibility setting, it gave me a different error.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: reallyscrued
How did you get Adobe Reader to install? I tried installing Adobe Reader 9 straight from their website and it wouldn't install. Each time I selected a different compatibility setting, it gave me a different error.

Foxit reader works fine if you just need to see some pdfs.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Weird I got acrobat reader 9 to install just fine on my laptop.

Also, am using the free beta version of Norton 360 3.0 for Windows 7 (based on the super-lite nav/nis 09 codebase). If you click the find antivirus link in action center, it links you to free windows 7 editions of kaspersky and norton.