Program to list MP3'an HTML Index???

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
I have a cable modem and tons of MP3's. I would like to be able to downlod them at work and listen to them when I want.

From what I can tell I would need the following:

1. Some type of server software to access my file server from the net. I was thinking of Analogx's Simple Server.

2. A program to list or show my MP3's as a web page where I can click and DL.

Is this possible? If so, does anyone have a suggestion as to what program I should look for? I have nothing of interest or value on my MP3 jukebox other than Win2k and 6 gigs of MP3's. Should I proceed with this plan or use something like Remote Administrator?

Thanks in advance.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
You could write a perl script to do that. Shouldn't be too much work. Have it find all .mp3s and list them alphabetically, then dump that into an HTML file.

Put the file names in between the tags, then throw a <br /> tag at the end.

bob332

Banned
Jan 25, 2002
since you have win2k, and it would just be for you, i would suggest iis5. it comes with win2k pro (the pro version of win2k / iis 5 has a 10 person at a time limit). go to Andromeda and get the asp version of the script. you will also want to go to microsoft and d/l the urlscan / iis lockdown tool so others can't exploit your server. also update your copy of windows after you install iis 5, there will be updates.

here is a link to my site which uses andromeda, i have the links turned off on this particular site for demonstration purposes ->

hope this helps...http://muzic.sytes.net

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Bob beat me to it, Andromeda is the way to go (donate!)
Bill

turnstyle

Jul 24, 2002
Hey guys, this is Scott from Andromeda. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the help in getting the word out. So, thanks! -Scott

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
You guys have given me some excellent suggestions, and I especially like the appearance of Bob's MP3 site. The problem is that I know little to nothing about programming or FTP'ing other than posting files to my personal ISP provided web space.

However, this is a subject that I want to learn so the timing of your suggestions may be just right. I will read up on ISS5 and Andromeda. I like the look and it is exactly what I want.

Thanks Much!

bob332

Banned
Jan 25, 2002
Scott - your script kicks @$$!!! i have told everybody i know about it, and a lot of people i don't.

Texun - have a look at scot's (turnstyle) site, it covers tons and is really informative.

turnstyle

Jul 24, 2002
bob332 - Heh, thanks again. I really do apprecaite the help, and I'm glad you think Andromeda is worthy. -Scott

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
turnstyle

I just downloaded the evaluation version for a test drive. What I see is exactly what I want. I'll work with the ISS and tutorials or get help until I can get it working. Thanks