• 20-39%

• 40-59%

• 60-79%

• 80-100%

Results are only viewable after voting.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I just wondered how often you run software that benefits from more than 2 cores, and which type of software it is.

Last edited:

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
..believe it or not, the game World of Warcraft will use, and does benefit, from additional cores. By default, it now configures itself to use all (physical) cores - so with an i7, you'd see load on 4.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I was thinking on software where core 3 and 4 showed an improvement in fps, rendering time etc., or heavy multitasking.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
If you posted this in DC, it would be 100% usage for 100% of the people.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
..believe it or not, the game World of Warcraft will use, and does benefit, from additional cores. By default, it now configures itself to use all (physical) cores - so with an i7, you'd see load on 4.

Nah not 4, 2 at most at default. interesting thread. By using the tweak mentioned in the thread performance increases by about 10fps (I've tried this myself) but it doesn't all of a sudden make it more multi-threaded- just better use of the resources. Blizzard have said they have no intention of making WoW properly multi-threaded (even though it absolutely needs it).

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Nah not 4, 2 at most at default. interesting thread. By using the tweak mentioned in the thread performance increases by about 10fps (I've tried this myself) but it doesn't all of a sudden make it more multi-threaded- just better use of the resources. Blizzard have said they have no intention of making WoW properly multi-threaded (even though it absolutely needs it).

That was changed in the last major patch (3.2, I believe). The Default is now all physical cores. If you go in and check the config.wtf file, the modifier is no longer there. If you want, though, you can put it back by making the appropriate entry. I thought about doing that when I built my new rig in late Feb. Then reconsidered and decided to leave it as standard "for a while", and play with it if I saw a need to. So far? No need.

For sure, it loads up the 4 physical cores on my i7. Not fully, for sure, but it definitely uses them. My understanding is that "certain processors" (rumored to be i7) didn't like the default of 2 cores.

There were a couple threads about this in the Support forum. I'm at work, though, and the official boards are blocked or I'd get you a link.

Last edited:

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
...and I'm fully in agreement the game's performance would benefit from a reworking to better support multi threading.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

they fixed the need to change the config file in one of that last patches (3.2) i think, it will run on all 4 cores now without doing anything special

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Just Video Encoding (which i haven't done much of lately) and now GTA IV which i installed yesterday.. and damn it looks good.