Processor swap, no POST

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My wife's PC has an ASUS P8H67-M PRO in it, and has been running fine for months with a Pentium G620 in. Nothing special about the computer, no overclocking or anything.

I wanted to upgrade the processor to a Core i3 3225, which is mentioned on the compatibility list for the board:

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_PRO/#CPUS

I upgraded the BIOS to 3806 with the original processor in, then swapped CPUs, then I switched the computer on. The fans spin, but no beeps. I tried resetting the CMOS, no difference. I swapped the processors back, the computer boots fine first time.

The PSU is a Corsair TX650M (not a case of 'picking the right PSU' just what I had spare), it has an EPS12V connector. RAM is 4GB DDR3-1333. Integrated graphics.

- edit - One other thing I noticed is that when it booted with the Pentium, the board's DRAM LED came on. When booting on the second swap attempt (ie. trying the Core i3 again) I've now just done, that light doesn't come on. I took out the memory, but the same thing happens as with the memory in.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Did you try the MemOK! button process while booting to see if this makes a difference?

Otherwise, it sounds like your new CPU might be a dud.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
MemOK didn't help unfortunately. I tried the 3225 (and the same memory) in a board destined for another machine and it worked fine in there.

I guess that leaves ASUS's BIOS update which supposedly supports the 3225? I googled for the board and 3225 and one result suggested someone had run a 3DMark with this combination of hardware, but that's it.

I'm mulling over a board swap, as the board in my wife's machine and the board I intend to use for my server rebuild aren't different in any important ways. My server certainly doesn't need Core i3 horsepower, hence I planned to take my wife's G620 and replace it with a 3225. Ah, except my wife's board has an IDE port which her old hard disk is connected to (which she uses for backups... if she ran backups like she should). Curses.

- edit - I've just tried removing the battery for a few minutes and trying the 3225 again, but it didn't make any difference. Unless anyone has any great ideas in how to proceed, I guess I'll either contact ASUS or my wife will continue using the G620.

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Motherboard sounds fine. The i3 is most likely DOA. Test the i3 in another board if possible.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If an early revision, it may not support it.

The ASUS site reckons that all board revisions support this processor with the BIOS update.

The only other idea I had seems like too much of a long shot to bother with, but the G620 is supposed to only support DDR3-1066 RAM. The RAM in use is DDR3-1333, and when the G620 is installed, the RAM is being run at DDR3-1066 as expected. However, the 3225 only supports DDR3-1333/1600. I wonder if the board is somehow remembering that the memory is running at the old speed and tries to carry that across when the new processor is installed. However, I've already reset the CMOS and removed the battery and it didn't help. That same memory also works with the new processor in a different board.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The ASUS site reckons that all board revisions support this processor with the BIOS update.

The only other idea I had seems like too much of a long shot to bother with, but the G620 is supposed to only support DDR3-1066 RAM. The RAM in use is DDR3-1333, and when the G620 is installed, the RAM is being run at DDR3-1066 as expected. However, the 3225 only supports DDR3-1333/1600. I wonder if the board is somehow remembering that the memory is running at the old speed and tries to carry that across when the new processor is installed. However, I've already reset the CMOS and removed the battery and it didn't help. That same memory also works with the new processor in a different board.

Yeah, it really sounds like it's the CPU, as odd as that solution is. This is assuming you didn't leave out one of the power connectors, or a fan connection required for that board. After you updated the BIOS, were you able to verify it updated successfully?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If by verify you mean 'boot the computer and check what version the BIOS says it is on the BIOS screen', then yes.

I tried the 3225 at least three times. On one occasion I forgot to plug in the CPU connector, but I had the G620 in at that time and the fans momentarily spin then stop. I left the rest of the wiring unaltered (two hard drives, one DVDRW, two USB headers).

When you say "it sounds like the CPU", I assume you mean compatibility despite the BIOS update, because I've tested the CPU in another board and it works.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If by verify you mean 'boot the computer and check what version the BIOS says it is on the BIOS screen', then yes.

I tried the 3225 at least three times. On one occasion I forgot to plug in the CPU connector, but I had the G620 in at that time and the fans momentarily spin then stop. I left the rest of the wiring unaltered (two hard drives, one DVDRW, two USB headers).

When you say "it sounds like the CPU", I assume you mean compatibility despite the BIOS update, because I've tested the CPU in another board and it works.

Gotcha. My next thought would be memory if the CPU is fine (and it sounds like it is, somehow I missed post 3) as you mentioned.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

Could you possibly try faster RAM in lieu of the 1066?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I think we are all grasping at straws here, but I do wonder if it is memory-related. What chipsets are we talking about here: the board where the i3 works vs the one where it does not (H67, on the Asus, right?)?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've contacted ASUS, just waiting for a response.

H67, Z77.

I'm at home all day today, so I might get the itch to try it again. I don't have any faster working memory than 1333 but I have a spare 4GB module that I could try. TBH I still feel the way I did, it's a PITA reinstalling the stock HSF when the board is in the machine and I'm not sure why another module would help. I suppose it might be a "confuse it into working" scenario which I find amusing in my line of work (ie. a setting is set the way it should be yet the process doesn't work, so you switch it to the wrong setting, try again, set it back, then it works) :)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
My wife's PC has a G620 and a 4GB DDR3-1333 module. First I tried the 3225 in my wife's PC with that module, which didn't work. Later I tried that 3225 and that memory module in a spare board and it worked.

I know that, but you suspected the original RAM was not working with the 3225 in that motherboard for whatever reason. If it is a compatibility issue with that particular RAM in that motherboard, then swapping with another known working RAM rules out another variable. If it doesn't work, then it's definitely the motherboard that isn't working as it should with the 3225.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 swapped for Kingston 4GB-DDR3-1333, no difference.

My remaining theory regards Intel HD Graphics support. As far as I'm aware, HD4000 (which the 3225 has) didn't come in until Ivy Bridge.

I have a spare graphics card, though I'll only try it if I can find some PCI blanking plates here, in case it doesn't work.

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
The motherboard is the problem, then. Maybe try BIOS 3802, but if that doesn't work then it's probably never going to.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Out of curiosity, have you tried booting the 3225 chip with a discrete video card?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@ Smoove910

See my first and third posts.

---

I haven't tried the graphics card idea because I don't have any PCI blacking plates available and I don't want to remove the board for the sake of trying a graphics card in it. I'm waiting for ASUS tech support to suggest something other than "check the BIOS version" and "have you got another 3225 to test with?".

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
@ Smoove910

See my first and third posts.

---

I haven't tried the graphics card idea because I don't have any PCI blacking plates available and I don't want to remove the board for the sake of trying a graphics card in it. I'm waiting for ASUS tech support to suggest something other than "check the BIOS version" and "have you got another 3225 to test with?".

Do you live near a computer parts store? Can't you just get a cheap card, and return it or save it as a backup? I think the wait on Asus is going to be a long one (if not indefinitely, based on what I have read from others).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I tried a spare graphics card. I also tried a spare PSU and the earliest BIOS version that ASUS says supports the 3225. None of which helped.