Processor (Calculation per sec) speed is low. Graphics are showing lapse.

SPK23

Oct 24, 2013
My PC config are as follows :
MoBo : P6N SLI V2
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
Memory : Transcend DDR2 4Gb
SMPS : 550w
GC : NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
HDD : (1 + 0.5) Tb

I bought it 4 yrs back. Since 1.5 yrs, it has started showing performance deterioration.
Previously, I have completed entire Modern Warfare series. But, now it stucks. Graphics break and i have to abort.
Sometime back i had to reset my CMOS using jumpers. Does this affect? CPU-Z still shows clock speed at around 2.66 GHz
I did a performance check on Win 7 and found that Processor speed is very low at 2.5. Whereas all other components show rating btn 5.0 to 5.9.
I also tried to dust off my RAM and GC.
What might be probable reason for this performance lapse? Please help

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i have no idea what a 3400 GT is

that E7300 is an old processor that pretty much any current intel processor will run circles around.

probably both could stand to be replaced, which would also mean replacing the board and ram.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
If you really think your PC has gotten slower, it is likely to be software (settings). Try re-installing Windows (and all drivers).

Hardware doesn't get slower over time. It doesn't deteriorate. It works, or it breaks. It's not like a tire. So the only thing I can think of is software. Software doesn't change over the years out of itself. But when lots of software, programs and utilities get installed and uninstalled, settings might get messed up some time.

Re-installing Windows takes some time. But it is a lot cheaper than buying a new PC.

SPK23

Oct 24, 2013
i have no idea what a 3400 GT is

that E7300 is an old processor that pretty much any current intel processor will run circles around.

probably both could stand to be replaced, which would also mean replacing the board and ram.

Hey,
I mistakenly typed 3400 , its NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT.
I know it not very new, although question was reviously i could easily run various high end s/ws on my machine. Now, its in question.

SPK23

Oct 24, 2013
If you really think your PC has gotten slower, it is likely to be software (settings). Try re-installing Windows (and all drivers).

Hardware doesn't get slower over time. It doesn't deteriorate. It works, or it breaks. It's not like a tire. So the only thing I can think of is software. Software doesn't change over the years out of itself. But when lots of software, programs and utilities get installed and uninstalled, settings might get messed up some time.

Re-installing Windows takes some time. But it is a lot cheaper than buying a new PC.

Thanks, Man . I agree with you. Its all about s/w s. A currently using Win7, which i cracked using a patch, downloaded from Torrents.
But, i am a bit little curious about Processor speed. What does it indicate?
Performance check utility of Win 7 shows Processor speed status as low as 2.5, which is counted as overall performance indicator . Whereas all other components show rating btn 5.0 to 5.9.

Can speculate over this.?

Warning issued for admission of piracy.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Discussing pirated software is reason on most forums to get banned.

Window's Performance meter utility isn't the best way to measure performance. It does a few limited tests, and spits out a number. What does that number mean ? Nobody knows exactly. In your case, I think Windows sees that you have a duo-core CPU, and not a quad-core. And therefor gives your CPU a number of 2-4. And 2.66GHz makes it a 2.5. If you had a 4GHz duo-core, you might have gotten a 3.5. If you had a 2.66GHz quadcore, you might have gotten a 4. Duo-cores will always score a point or more lower than quad-cores.

SPK23

Oct 24, 2013
Discussing pirated software is reason on most forums to get banned.

Window's Performance meter utility isn't the best way to measure performance. It does a few limited tests, and spits out a number. What does that number mean ? Nobody knows exactly. In your case, I think Windows sees that you have a duo-core CPU, and not a quad-core. And therefor gives your CPU a number of 2-4. And 2.66GHz makes it a 2.5. If you had a 4GHz duo-core, you might have gotten a 3.5. If you had a 2.66GHz quadcore, you might have gotten a 4. Duo-cores will always score a point or more lower than quad-cores.

Friend, I am not here to discuss anything about pirated s/ws nor i am interested in any crack.
The only reason would be to share your experiences to resolve my problem. Cause i have very little knowledge about h/ws and their compatibilities. I want to find out 'Why it everything was working smooth before and why its all going wrong.'

The on reason am so concerned about H/w is that my machine frequently shows peak CPU usage where as Physical memory usage is close to half (2gb) at that time. I cannot fathom why it peaks up when no high end s/w is running. (Does Chrome do it?). I have even customised display settings for 'Optimum Performance'. So processor isn't used up glossy display.