Problems with wireless AP and DHCP

zagiace

Feb 4, 2014
I am having an issue with my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wireless router. I have it setup as a wireless access point with DHCP disabled connected to my network via the LAN port on the Netgear to a switch.

When I connect it to my network the other computers connected via the wired and wireless network start having issues connecting to my DHCP server (Cisco ASA5500). They start to self assign IP's in the 169.254.x.x range. If I disconnect the AC1900 and renew the IP's on the other computers all is normal.

I check the status page of the AC1900 and see the correct DHCP, DNS and it is on the correct network.

I have updated the firmware and after a chat session with Netgear Support uploaded a new firmware

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
It sounds like DHCP isn't actually disabled on the Netgear and it is interfering with your primary DHCP server on the Cisco. I would disconnect it from your network, reset it to factory settings, connect one computer to one of it's LAN ports, and log in to the router to reconfigure it as an access point> Set up wireless, disable DHCP, set the LAN IP address to the same IP range as the main network, but with an address that is not currently being used and is outside the DHCP range. (The last one isn't always required, but doesn't hurt and can sometimes help.)

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Is the core IPs of the two Routers are on the same subnet?

I.e., One device is 192.168.x.y and the other 192.168.x.z

:cool:

Last edited:

zagiace

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks Fardingle. I haven't tried giving the AP a static IP so I will give that a shot.

JackMDS, They are on the same subnet.

DavidT99

Mar 29, 2013
Thanks Fardingle. I haven't tried giving the AP a static IP so I will give that a shot.

JackMDS, They are on the same subnet.
The AP and must have a static I address outside of the routers DHCP range but on the same subnet. Also make sure UPnP is disabled on the AP.

zagiace

Feb 4, 2014
I set the static IP of the AP to 192.168.100.22. My DHCP server assigns the range of 192.168.100.101 to 192.168.100.254.
I still get the same issue. When I connect the netgear to the network the wired connections start self assigning IP's.
Driving me nuts.

zephxiii

Sep 29, 2009
Is it only the devices that are connecting through the netgear that start self assigning? ie. anything that is connecting through its wifi or ethernet ports but all over devices that are on the LAN and do not have to connect through the Netgear to get to the DHCP server are fine.

zagiace

Feb 4, 2014
Is it only the devices that are connecting through the netgear that start self assigning? ie. anything that is connecting through its wifi or ethernet ports but all over devices that are on the LAN and do not have to connect through the Netgear to get to the DHCP server are fine.
Thanks zephxiii
Oddly, no. The computers connected via my existing wired network. They are not connected directly to the new wireless ap.

zephxiii

Sep 29, 2009
Could be some odd glitch with the Netgear...

At work when we were using an old Linksys router, every time an Android device would hop on the wifi network, total packet loss on the WAN connection would happen for 4-5 seconds. The Linksys wasn't even the DHCP server.

I replaced the Linksys with Pfsense 2.x and never had a problem since but it's just one of those weird things you run into.