Problems with the new IBM T40

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
Yes, my T40 has an XGA (1024x768) screen. My Dell flat panel is a 15" XGA E151FPp.

Edit - My Dell tower is a Dimension XPS T450 (late 1999 model). I've replaced almost everything in it except the case, PSU, mobo, and removable media drives.

mocca

May 3, 2003
You cannot compare a laptop LCD with a desktop LCD. Contrast ratio on a laptop LCD is ver limited while the desktop LCD have more flexibility. IMO, IBM have the best 14" LCD (at least for SXGA+). I'm not sure about 15" LCD (Dell UltraSharp have bad reputation about banding and watermark issues) but Sony GRX series definitely have the best 16" UXGA LCD (much better than the UltraSharp of Dell LCD).

Mocca

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Thanks Mocca. Good to know that the SXGA+ screen is good. I wish I could see one. I will just have to order from IBM and try it. My only concern is the limited vertical viewing angles.

m00se

May 25, 2003
:brokenheart:

I have noticed that my T40's XGA (1024x768) display, while having very vibrant colors, has a poor vertical viewing angle, as mentioned by others in this thread. When watching a DVD you have to look at the screen square on. If you angle the screen back just a bit, maybe 5-10 degrees, the colors distort (blacks/darks get silvery and smear). Horizontal viewing angles are more forgiving. If you tilt the screen toward yourself a bit, the screen looks washed out with a white haze over everything. You can fix both by increasing the software gamma or brightness in the software DVD player, but who wants to do that? I will post some images after I take them to show what I mean.

Any owners of the SXGA+ (1400x1050) screens out there? Please, please post your experiences with this screen. Color saturation, brightness, blackpoint. Very particularly, when you view a DVD, how much angular leeway is there horizontally and vertically? In Windows Explorer (XP), set details view. Is the light grey band of the selected column visible? (I notice that is a good test of a TFT). Preview a screen saver with a black background. Is the TFT milky white or nice and black? Post your screenshots!

Beautiful machine in every other respect. I have no noise problems (I have checked carefully). Mine was made in Mexico.

Regards,

m00se

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Moose great description of the XGA screen.

Any owner of an SXGA+ screen please post and tell us whether the DVD viewing experience is similar to moose's. This would help those that aer trying to decide which screen to order.

Thanks.

caltrinity

May 10, 2003
M00se,

I have a xga t40 screen as well and I have the same issues with the screen...

I've checked out all the laptop screens this past weekend...

If you want the BEST LAPTOP LCD SCREEN in the planet.... check out the brand new MVA screens with ultra sharp and wide viewing angles..

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=AN

The N series Fujitsu just blows away the competition...

Even better than the Dell UltraSharp UXGA+ screens... and that says a lot..

-caltrinity

Originally posted by: m00se
:brokenheart:

I have noticed that my T40's XGA (1024x768) display, while having very vibrant colors, has a poor vertical viewing angle, as mentioned by others in this thread. When watching a DVD you have to look at the screen square on. If you angle the screen back just a bit, maybe 5-10 degrees, the colors distort (blacks/darks get silvery and smear). Horizontal viewing angles are more forgiving. If you tilt the screen toward yourself a bit, the screen looks washed out with a white haze over everything. You can fix both by increasing the software gamma or brightness in the software DVD player, but who wants to do that? I will post some images after I take them to show what I mean.

Any owners of the SXGA+ (1400x1050) screens out there? Please, please post your experiences with this screen. Color saturation, brightness, blackpoint. Very particularly, when you view a DVD, how much angular leeway is there horizontally and vertically? In Windows Explorer (XP), set details view. Is the light grey band of the selected column visible? (I notice that is a good test of a TFT). Preview a screen saver with a black background. Is the TFT milky white or nice and black? Post your screenshots!

Beautiful machine in every other respect. I have no noise problems (I have checked carefully). Mine was made in Mexico.

Regards,

m00se

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Caltrinity is absolutely correct. I looked at the MVA screens last week and it looks like a plasma screen. Hard to believe it is a TFT LCD screen.

How good are the Fujitsu laptops in other regards?

esaleris

Apr 10, 2002
Fujitsu Laptops -

I have a lot of experience with this. S-series. Two users, one "power" user and one "lightweight" user.

The LCDs are quite thin. This leads to a problem later on. It also does not seem as bright as other company's. The trackpad on the S-series feels a bit flimsy and I found it much harder to use than my IBM T40p. Overall build quality on the S-series trades off weight (4.5 with DVD/CD-RW) for sturdiness. Overall, I would rate it higher than Dell (they creak and just feel poor to me), but much lower than HP or IBM (I have had good experiences with HP - mileage may vary).

So on to these two users and their use of this machine.

My cousin uses it for college. She pretty much leaves it on her desk all day and no apparent problems. She is happy with it and has no complaints. Her model still (1 year old) looks new because she rarely takes it anywhere.

My friend brings HIS to class for EE design (used to, graduated now) every day. He puts a lot of wear and tear on his. The Fujitsu emblem on the back of the LCD pressed into his LCD so much that there is a 1" square region on his screen that is permanently brighter by a large amount. He doesn't mind it - I wouldn't be able to ignore it. They keyboard has poor tactile feedback in my opinion, it feels like you are typing on plastic keys - very empty feeling to them. The finish on a lot of surfaces have worn off for him. However, the worst is the old "keyboard imprints against the LCD" problem. His is as horrible as it gets, smudges everywhere, little lines where the ridges of the keys are. It's pretty bad and he doesn't bother cleaning it because it takes a lot of effort and pressure.

m00se

May 25, 2003
I looked at the Fujitsu website, and it looks like they have desktop P4 chips in them... not good there. The T40 is the best as far as fit and finish, but the XGA screen has limited viewing angles, which is a bummer if you do any multimedia, or anything except Microsoft Word.

Let's hear from all of you with SXGA+ screens, how are they?

Update as I type: I spoke to IBM just now on the phone. They say this normal for all LCD's (right). They offer a in-plane switching TFT offering >80 degrees of viewing angle, available on the A31P, at 1600x1200 resolution. But since it has been >30 days since I ordered mine, they will not grant me an exchange or refund. And I am an IBM employee!

Was it not someone in this forum who said they were punting their T40 into the street?
Well mine is right behind it, I am very pissed.

esaleris

Apr 10, 2002
I'm sorry to hear that you can't get your system fixed. I have been using an LCD since a year ago - have a NEC 1550V. It is a bit old now, but I swear by it. So I am used to the limited viewing angle. If you are the only person behind the computer, it tends not to be a problem, as with my usage.

Here is an article for people's references. http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20020114/index.html About the technologies available. It is quite old, but quite informative, especially when it comes to TFT, Inline, and MVA. It's a good starter.

Personally, the SVGA on the T40p has been one of the laptop's great big pluses for me; I did, however, expect more out of the Radeon Mobility FireGL 9000 - so that is a big disappointment.

The manual states that the Dual-Band Mini-PCI cannot be removed for whatever reason. But I truly hope we will be able to because it looks like 802.11g is taking off much faster than 802.11a.

m00se

May 25, 2003
Hi Esaleris,

You can replace the mini PCI device. Download the T40 Hardware Maintenance Manual here:

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46464

It has detailed instructions and drawings on how to replace any part you want.

So you have the SXGA+ screen on the T40? Please tell us how your screen looks. Is it very sensitive to viewing angles? How about discriminating very light shades (like the colored column selection in XP's windows explorer, or the gridlines in Microsoft Excel, and very dark shades, like dark backgrounds in DVD movies? I would very much appreciate any comments you have. Because armed with my hardware maintenance manual, I can eventually rip out my XGA I am not perfectly happy with and drop in a SXGA+. It looks like right now both panels are made by ID Tech, so I am hesitant to spend a few hundred on the SXGA+ if it performs like the XGA. Again, any comments appreciated. Take care, M

esaleris

Apr 10, 2002
"If you find three special screws installed at the bottom of your computer as shown in the following drawing, an IEEE 802.11 a/b Standard dual band Mini-PCI Card has been installed in the Mini-PCI Card slot. You cannot remove or replace it."

I have these screws. They are hexagonal stars. I don't know IBM's reasoning for not letting users open them, but they have screws nonetheless, so maybe there's hope. I certainly want to replace my Mini-PCI sometime when 802.11g comes out. Perhaps a tri-band a/b/g, or am I too greedy?

m00se - About the LCD.

The Screen is very clear at 1400x1050. I cannot find a better monitor for text - writing or reading. It is abolutely gorgeous in my opinion, but some people think the resolution is too high - and therefore the font is too small. I like it with normal font.

Imagine that you put a pie to your face evenly. If you line up the LCD parallel to the pie pan's bottom surface, you will get the best viewing. Varying the screen's angle off the hinge - stange things happen when you angle the screen past 10 degrees. At 30 degrees, the colors are completely unaccurate. At 60, you see negative.

For me, side-to-side seems a lot more sensitive. At a normal viewing angle moving your head more than 5 inches either way results in half your LCD having a different tint (the half you are leaning away from).

In Explorer, full brightness, the colorized column is nowhere as pronounced as a CRT. You can tell there is a shade, but probably 1/2 as well as you could on a CRT (as if you went to some photo editing/illustration program and reduced grey by 1/2).

Excel gridlines are perfectly readable - very pronounced oddly enough, given my last observation. Very clear grid, no question about it. In WinDVD, I very much enjoyed the quality and had no complaints. And as with all LCD technology, the black is never very black. It feels like an "illuminated" black, with a backlight feel to it. Can't compare to a CRT here.

I am trying to give you my most critical analysis that I can - so take them with that in mind, because despite all these potential issues, this LCD is probably the best I've seen on the market and it is the part of my T40 that I love the most.

Hope that helps.

caltrinity

May 10, 2003
The day that there is a P-M chip laptop with the AWESOME mva screen on a laptop that is less than 5 pounds with a built in CDrw/DVD drive... I'm there...

That's all I'm saying... hands down.

To me the screen is a very important priority.

Wait until you guys see the Fujitsu screen in person... and THEN... TELL me how it compares to the SXGA+ screens...

-caltrinity

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
esaleris: The issue with the a/b card is probably regulatory. You definitely can replce the MPCI card. Take a look at the hw reference manual as has already been suggested.

esaleris: Could you take a look at the Fujitsu MVA screen and tell us if the SXGA+ screen is close. I guess I will order the SXGA+ screen if it is better than the XGA as you and others have suggested. I have seen the XGA on a R series and it was not very good.

Thanks.

m00se

May 25, 2003
Hi Esaleris,

I really appreciate your detailed comments about the SXGA+ LCD. It appears to be a better performer than the XGA variety. When I look at my XGA dead-on, I can just barely notice the shaded column in XP's explorer details view, and that is only near the top of the column. Down at the bottom you cannot discriminate between the background white and the shaded column. Sounds like you can. On my XGA, If you tilt the screen back 5 to 10 degrees you can see the shaded column, but dark colors are then distorted. Same for Excel gridlines, which look more washed out near the bottom of an Excel window when full-screen. (I am talking about with XP default blue theme). Granted this is nitpicking, but what really bothers me is the vertical LCD angle sensitivity when watching DVD's, it is really not acceptable to have dark colors go silvery and negative at more than a slight tilt. I think the T40 XGA LCD is uncharacteristic of ThinkPad displays, because I see hundreds of ThinkPads every day, each one with a better screen than the T40. Since I am a tinkerer I will be buying a SXGA+ LCD from ibm.com parts in a month or two, and try it out. To me good viewing is worth a few hundred extra George Washingtons.

In the meantime, keep those descriptions and reviews of the SXGA+ screen coming in!

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Moose: Do you mean the XGA on a T30 and earlier is better? I had a T22 and I don't recall the vertical sensitivity.

m00se

May 25, 2003
Hi sentinal2000,

Yes, that is my opinion. T30 and earlier have "better" XGA displays than the T40 XGA. The T40 XGA display has greater color saturation, but more limited viewing angles, when compared to T22 displays I have seen. The T22 display is bright, clear and has very wide viewing angles. The T40 XGA display would be perfect for someone in a neck brace who never needs to share the screen.

From what I have read, I get the feeling the T40 SXGA+ display is "better" than the T40 XGA, in terms of subtle hues of colors displayed, and viewing angle.

Regards,

M

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Hi Moose:

That's what I remember about my T22 display as well.

How does the T30 XGA compare to the T22? I may just get one of the T30s that IBM auctions on eBay.

Thanks for your help.

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Hi Moose:

That's what I remember about my T22 display as well.

How does the T30 XGA compare to the T22? I may just get one of the T30s that IBM auctions on eBay.

Thanks for your help.

m00se

May 25, 2003
I think the T22/T23 and T30 XGA screens are about the same, with the T22/T23 variety being a little brighter, and the T30 having a little greater color saturation. They both look great.

Hope that helps... m

sentinel2000

May 13, 2003
Moose: From what esaleris say's about his SXGA+ screen it seem like the vertical viewing sensitivity is not much better than the XGA screens on the T40. As I said earlier I think I will go buy a T30 from IBM auctions. All I am missing out on is the long battery life of the PM.

m00se

May 25, 2003
T40 SXGA+ owners,

Any further qualitative reviews of the SXGA+ LCD to complement the good one posted by esaleris?