Problems with Spyware

Mar 5, 2001
Everytime I do a spyware scan it picks up a handful of tracking cookies. I realise they are not supposed to be so serious, but why do they keep reappearing!? I use the "anti-spyware" scan as part of the zone alarm pro security package and Spybot on an ad hoc basis to check for such things. I'll do a full scan, then remove the findings - then literally a scan done 20 mins later they'll be picked up again!?

I used to think it was MS Outlook, as junk e-mail that is viewed/previewed might be a way in, but I've now disabled the automatic downloading of picture content in the body of e-mails which someone suggested I do. I've also not opened MS Outlook for a few sessions, but it made no difference.

What's going on, how is this happening? I run NOD32 in conjunction with the above

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Don't worry about it, you'll always get "tracking cookies". Pretty much every website that uses ad services, probably Anandtech included, uses tracking cookies.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
if you wanna get anal ...

just get cookiewall or cookieculler and make rules for every single cookie / site you visit.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
4. Consider blocking them using HOSTS file alterations
Originally posted by: Sid59
if you wanna get anal ...

just get cookiewall or cookieculler and make rules for every single cookie / site you visit.
At one point I tried out both of these solutions, and they are such a PITA that it's just not worth the effort, IMO. That's kinda why I now just say "screw it" and don't worry about tracking cookies.

Mar 5, 2001
But I just don't understand how they reappear so quickly and easily when normally I have to go into my firewall cookie control settings to alter and allow the type of cookie needed for certain sites (ie. airline bookings)

I use Firefox, btw. And the tracker cookies detected always seem to be Internet Explorer ones (whether that refers to Internet Explorer, the Browser I don't know) If I don't use IE, then what's going on!?