Problems with Ccleaner free edition...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why? The two programs serve entirely different purposes...
The SuperAntiSpyware program actually does a similar cookie cleanup vs. CCleaner, except that it leaves intact the non-spyware browser cookies. CCleaner does allow going through and one-by-one marking the "safe" cookies to not be mass deleted. However, I consider the S.A.S. method a better & more convenient solution to the general problem of cookie management.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The SuperAntiSpyware program actually does a similar cookie cleanup vs. CCleaner, except that it leaves intact the non-spyware browser cookies. CCleaner does allow going through and one-by-one marking the "safe" cookies to not be mass deleted. However, I consider the S.A.S. method a better & more convenient solution to the general problem of cookie management.
Hmm. Personally, I prefer to delete everything except the specific cookies I whitelist manually...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hmm. Personally, I prefer to delete everything except the specific cookies I whitelist manually...

Ditto. Firefox and Chrome* are both configurable to allow all cookies but discard them at the end of the session, plus the whitelist of sites that one wants to allow indefinitely.

* - probably as well as some other browsers, but those two I know for a fact can be configured this way.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Ditto. Firefox and Chrome* are both configurable to allow all cookies but discard them at the end of the session, plus the whitelist of sites that one wants to allow indefinitely.
I didn't look all that closely, but it looks like Firefox only lets you whitelist sites (that are then allowed to place/install any and all cookies) rather than specific cookies. Did I miss something?

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I didn't look all that closely, but it looks like Firefox only lets you whitelist sites (that are then allowed to place/install any and all cookies) rather than specific cookies? Did I miss something?

Pass. My preferred configuration was site-based, not specific cookie based.