Problems with 8800GT

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
I wish I had seen this last month to save me a whole lot of headache.

I encountered this exact issue in early Febuary and my rig has essentially been a brick since then. Massive artifacts in 3d, bios screen corruptions, but cpu benches didn't result in any errors. I RMAed my 8800 GTX to EVGA and received a new card shortly thereafter but same issues remained.
I'd been wanting to move to 1366 earlier so I figured now is as good a time as any. I've replaced the mainboard, cpu, RAM and PSU only to receive a nvdisp BSOD. Got fed up so I ordered a 5850 which should be delivered today. If the issue persists I'll replacve the OS Raptor hdd. If that doesn't work, then fuck it. It's spring and it's too nice to stay inside.

I hope you work it out.

7earitup

Sep 22, 2004
I wish I had seen this last month to save me a whole lot of headache.

I encountered this exact issue in early Febuary and my rig has essentially been a brick since then. Massive artifacts in 3d, bios screen corruptions, but cpu benches didn't result in any errors. I RMAed my 8800 GTX to EVGA and received a new card shortly thereafter but same issues remained.
I'd been wanting to move to 1366 earlier so I figured now is as good a time as any. I've replaced the mainboard, cpu, RAM and PSU only to receive a nvdisp BSOD. Got fed up so I ordered a 5850 which should be delivered today. If the issue persists I'll replacve the OS Raptor hdd. If that doesn't work, then fuck it. It's spring and it's too nice to stay inside.

I hope you work it out.

Please let me know if you continue to have issues once you install the 5850. If it is something with NVIDIA in general, then I will just replace the POS.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
The one in the desktop now is FUBAR. It has artifacts in POST, BIOS, and the Windows loading screen. Ironically, as long as the drivers are not loaded, I can view my desktop fine - I just cannot use Aero or use anything that needs 3D acceleration.

Now that is weird. It really sounds like the card to me. I would take it outside, shoot it, and go in for a sweet new GTX 480 or 5870. But that's me, I need excuses to buy tech :p

7earitup

Sep 22, 2004
Now that is weird. It really sounds like the card to me. I would take it outside, shoot it, and go in for a sweet new GTX 480 or 5870. But that's me, I need excuses to buy tech :p

That is why I have been looking at the 5850s. Although, I still want a working 8800GT to put in my fiance's computer once I upgrade the rest of my parts.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
Please let me know if you continue to have issues once you install the 5850. If it is something with NVIDIA in general, then I will just replace the POS.

Installed my 5850 and was able to install Win7 without a hitch; no BSODs, no errors. It went really smoothly. I like both ATi and NV, but I just got fed up with the constant disp. errors and crashes. This will be my first card for the red team since the Rage.

I'm tentative about speaking too soon, but it looks like its working out.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
3 different people in this thread report the same problem with the EVGA 8800 GT's. Maybe EVGA is just sendin out bum cards.

7earitup

Sep 22, 2004
Installed my 5850 and was able to install Win7 without a hitch; no BSODs, no errors. It went really smoothly. I like both ATi and NV, but I just got fed up with the constant disp. errors and crashes. This will be my first card for the red team since the Rage.

I'm tentative about speaking too soon, but it looks like its working out.

Keep me updated. I may be switching to the RED team soon. :)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well I've got two 8800gts 512's and a 8800gt 512 single slot and they're all over 3 years old and running just fine. The other pc has an evga 8800gts 640, all are evga and all are doing just fine so I'd say that the g80 and g92 have run just fine for us in this house.

7earitup

Sep 22, 2004
My 8800GT was 2 years old when it died. Now I cannot get another run to even run for more than 10 days.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
The only thing I can see is that the motherboard is killing the cards or you have some supremely bad luck with the replacements that you got.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
The only thing I can see is that the motherboard is killing the cards or you have some supremely bad luck with the replacements that you got.

This is what I was saying...highly improbable that a company like EVGA would send the OP two bad cards.

Either its the power supply (which considering the load on the system I highly doubt as no other components are showing any signs of failure) or its the motherboard, which I think is the cause.

Bad PCI-e slots are known to happen...might not happen often, but its not impossible by a long shot.