Problems w/ USB monitor when CPU Load 100%?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I'm thinking about picking up a Doublesight 7" USB monitor to use just for my Windows 7 sidebar gadgets.

My PC runs BOINC (several distributed computing apps.) simultaneously all day so the CPU usage / load is pretty much at 100% all the time.

I know using USB also requires some CPU usage. If I use one of these USB monitors, will I have any problems because of my high CPU usage from BOINC?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
Just a guess but I doubt you'd have a problem. I would assume the system would give priority to the monitor and the remaining cycles to the program.

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
I dont have any first hand experience with USB monitors (in fact...did not even knew they existed until now...)

BOINC and other distributed computing projects assign their threads with a very low priority. Somewhere in the BOINC control panel is an option to set the priority level, and unless you have changed it, the priority level is the at the bottom.

This means the program will get out of the way of almost everything else, as even USB should be set higher in the priority chain.