problems w/ abit IP35-E

Dec 29, 2005
i just got my parts in today, put system together, and cannot post.

hardware:
xclio stablepower 500w psu
e4400
abit ip35-e
1x hp 1gb pc5300
bfg geforce7900gs

when i turn on the power to the psu, there is a red led on the board that lights up (for anyone who has the board, the light is just between the atx power connector - ATXPWR1, and the last ram slot - DIMM4). if i press the case power button a green led turns on next to the atx power connector (the red led remains on) and the cpu fan spins up, but i get nothing else. if i disconnect the 4pin power to the cpu (ATX12V1) the fan for the video card turns on (it does not turn on when i have the power connected to the cpu. i tried with the ram plugged into different slots and not plugged in at all, no difference.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
thanks

Dec 29, 2005
NM, after some reading it looks like this is a (semi)common issue. i am having a dual boot problem, takes about 20 seconds before it actually starts up. it looks like there is a bios update that will fix this. is that true? thanks for any replies.

Dec 29, 2005
also getting a message during post:

CMOS checksum error

and then it waits for me to hit f1 to continue. do i just need to reload the bios to fix this?

also can someone explain to me step by step how to clear CMOS. i'm not sure that i have done it correctly. one guy mentioned to take battery out for 10 minutes before.

the part that is unclear is when you switch the jumper. i take it from the normal position and switch to the clear position, but what do i do then? do i just leave it alone for a minute (powered off)? or do i power it on for a minute while the jumper is in the clear position?

thanks for any help

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Read the manual...section about CMOS jumper. You can remove the battery if you want. Move jumper from normal to clear, and back to normal will reset CMOS. It only take a fraction of a second to clear this board.

Disconnect power from PSU when you perform this function.

After clearing CMOS, hit DELETE key to enter BIOS. Load OPTIMIZED DEFAULT. Save and exit.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
if it's the 5VSB it's meant to be on as long as the board has power (incl. a soft power down)

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
PSU?
Try with only 1 DIMM installed - if it boots check the DRAM voltage against OCZ recommendation (probably ~2.0V).
The original 6400 Platinum is known to have an SPD table that has cuased lots of boards problems.