Problems unlocking Tbird 750, please help....

deras

Jan 26, 2000
Okay I did the pencil trick (using a plain old number 2 pencil ) set the multiplier to 9.5 (950mhz) and things worked for like a week, then it would alternate between booting at 950 and 550, and occasionally over a thousand... eventually it would only boot to 550 (so I just switched things back to default) and now it boots at 750....

I tried redoing the pencil trick but I kept getting 550 (when set to 9.5 multiplier)...

So what kind of pencil is best to use, and where can I buy it?

Where can I buy conductive cement/adhesive (this seems to be the easiest more permanent way of closing the L1 bridges)?

Do those conductive pens from radio shack work?

Any other suggestions welcome...

JokerF15

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2000
loctite rear defogger repair kit. found at many auto part stores for like 6-8 bux. use a pin to apply it to the bridges.

worms

Banned
Feb 13, 2001
Yes the one part Loctite works well. I found that it dries far to rapidly on a screwdriver but on a blotted toothpick it works very well.

rearvu

Feb 27, 2001
I second the rear window defogger kit..got mine at napa, made by permatex..also used a pin to apply to the cpu..

Miraluka

Dec 19, 2000
I used a conductive pen. I put ink on to a paper and then used a needle to place the ink on the bridges. If you go this method, be sure to use a magnifying glass so you can place it more accurately.

Azratax

Feb 7, 2001
i used the permtex rear windshield defogger repair kit. It took 2 hours to figure out hte followeing procedure:
Materials:
2 razor blades
20 toothpicks, with pointy tips (they only work once, and if you are like me, it will take several tries to get the hang of applying it)
1 Permtex Rear windshield defogger repair kit
1 Small glass bottle, filled with acetone. (in case you screw up)
5 Qtips (incase you scrwe up)
1 magnifying glass (One that can hold itself up makes it MUCH easier
Procedure

1. Clean the bridges off very well
2. use a razor blade to make several tiny cuts into the point of a toothpick. (hold the toothpick pointy end up, and cut down slightly several times)
3. make sure that the CPU is in position, and that you can see it clearly through the magnifying glass.
4. dip the end of the toothpick into the defogger repair liquid
5. using the razor blade as a guide, quickly apply it to the first bridge (i found it easiest to start from the left and work towards the right). Discard the toothpick/
5.5. you may have to try several times to apply it before it dries. Use each toothpick only once
6. Repeat 2-5 until all 4 bridges are covered and do not cross, touch, etc. If you slip while applying the permtex, you can remove it with the acetone and a Qtip.
7. After all 4 are completed and do not cross, i would recomend (although i dont think i needed to do this) dipping the non-pointy end of a toothpick into the acetone and running that between where the bridges are to make sure there anrt any tiny bits of the permtex connecting them.
8. You are done. Reapply thermal paste, reinstall your cpu, overclock away.

Thats how i did it anyways.
Oh, and what was happening to your penciled bridges was that the 4th bridge started to go first (thus explaining the 550/950 change), and then the first or third must have been a bit too close to the second bridge, (thus occationaly making the mult 10.5 or (if the 4th wasnt behaving) 6.5). Note that i may have the order backwards here.
-Az