Problems Reading Smartmedia Cards

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I have been trying to help a friend of a friend. He has some really old equipment. For example, I just recently got his G4 tower moved from OS X 10.3 to 10.4.

However, now we can't read any of his Smartmedia cards from his C-4040 zoom. The Mac just acts like nothing is there. We have tried multiple cards, which all work fine in the camera, we have tried multiple card readers (both his original and a brand new one). I have tried on his G4 as well as my MacBook running 10.6. All with the same results, nothing.

What is interesting is I tried my Windows 7 box and had the same problem. No cards are recognized. Although in this case, his old card reader generated an error message (eusb driver not found) but the new card reader installed fine but still does not show any card inserted.

And yes, I am sure I am inserting the cards correctly into the readers (although I did try both ways with one card as a test). :)

When we tried connecting the camera directly to G4 or the MacBook we get the same error message, the USB device is drawing too much power and has been disabled. So that didn't work either.

Any thoughts? Do Smartmedia cards require special drivers or something?

-KeithP

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Glad you found it - the last time I used SM was with a Fuji reader/writer in Win 95. :)