Problems booting with Maxtor HD

AamirQ

Nov 20, 1999
Greetings,

I'm a PC novice compared to most of the people who post & read these forums, so pardon me if some of my terminology is incorrect.

I put together my one and only computer last year. It has a Tekram socket 7 motherboard with the Intel 430TX chipset and UDMA/33 support. I used to have a Western Digital 1.6 GB IDE hard drive, and it worked fine. Late last year I upgraded to a Maxtor/CompUSA 10.2 GB UDMA/66 5400 rpm hard drive. After about a week, the hard drive seemed like it would get "stuck in a groove" and churn away just before the windows desktop is supposed to appear (I am running Windows 98 1st Ed). Hitting the reset switch (probably not a great idea) and rebooting the computer would solve the problem at the time.

This only happens maybe one out of ten times when I turn on my PC. I exchanged that first Maxtor HD for a new one, and it behaved fine over the past eight months, but recently it started exhibiting the same behavior again. Running Scan Disk and Defrag didn't uncover anything unusual. Once Win98 is loaded, there are NO other problems.

I have a feeling that Win98 is trying to enable UDMA on the hard drive, since the UDMA checkbox in the hard drive's properties window is clear. I read somewhere that some Maxtor hard drives have problems with UDMA and perhaps certain motherboards. Is there any truth behind this?

Regards,
Aamir

Stembolt

Jul 28, 2000
How long did it "churn away" when starting Win98? More than a minute? Win98 will usually access the drive at start to establish the swap file. It shouldn't take much time at all though. Try setting a permanent swap file size and see if it has any effect.

Also, how much memory is installed? And is the drive full (or nearly full)?

I would also try other diagnostic utilities (Norton, etc.) for confirmation.