Problem with XFX RX 560: fan halts after install driver

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Yesterday I received a new XFX Radeon RX 560 (bought at Bestbuy, I think), and found a weird problem: if I install the official AMD driver, the card fan halts as soon as the driver is loaded. As long as I keep the Microsoft driver, the card works. Also, there is no problems under Linux with default drivers (still have to try with propietary linux drivers).
Is there any way to solve this, other than returning the card? The problem is that if I return the card, I have to wait another year until my friend comes back with a new card, or buy a new one here much more expensive.

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Ok false alarm. The card has afeature called Auto load sensing. In case of low GPU use/temperature, the fan goes to zero RPM. It starts as soon as temperature raises above 55-60 C.

Reactions: Arshad Hussain

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Almost all cards now have semi-passive feature. Try to figure fan speed and temperature target from Adrenalin driver. This is mine.
fan_profile.png

Jan 10, 2018
Same happened with my XFX 560 and what I figure out was the fan only starts when the card is under load and temps are increasing.

Anopheles7777

Mar 31, 2020
I hope this helps some one! I was literally about to rip my RX560 out and go buy another card with money that I don't have because it was killing me. Then I noticed while thinking it was a heat problem (it was, locking up on really modes games) I noticed the fan was not running. I went into the Radeon software and adjust the fan tuning and lo and behold, problem solved!! I've attached a screenshot to shoe you what my settings are right now. The setting I changed is outlined in red, and it really didn't create any noise issues whatsoever, but dropped the temps that I had been seeing by at least 10 degrees celsius.

Attachments

• Radeon Problem Solved.png
    Radeon Problem Solved.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 23