Question Problem with UPS Triplite Pro and lithium batteries

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
My boss brought a big Triplite UPS with capacity for 4 batteries. It was working fine until he wanted to replace the traditional batteries with lithium ones. For some reason, the UPS didnt turn on if we drained the batteries. We have to take out the batteries, find which one was under a certain level (less than 10V) and use a charger to get it back above 13V or something. Yesterday I was stupid enough to discharge the system by mistake and now Im facing an ugly problem: no matter how much I recharge each battery, the UPS doesnt turns on. Can somebody tell why a supposedly "pro" and expensive UPS cant properly manage lithium batteries and gives me a lot of headaches?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
They are designed only to work with the type of batteries they came with.

What is this lithium battery, is it supposed to be some kind of universal replacement to the extent it has several cells inside to approximate 12V and has its own BMS circuit for protection? Even if you answer that, I wouldn't be able to do anything with the info without specifics of how the battery and UPS charging/fault/protection is set up.

If the lithium batteries don't have sufficient protection built in, this could even be a fire hazard. While lead acid will be ruined if too deeply discharged, mostly they just fail to have as much capacity remaining or short out and have one cell gone.

With lithium, permanent damage can cause a rupture and then fire, depending on the lithium chemistry. IMO, not worth the risk or bother to try to adapt a different chemistry than the UPS was designed for.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
The UPS would need a custom firmware if replacing the batteries with a different chemistry. Even going from LiFePO4 to lithium polymer requires that.

I doubt you'll find a firmware for that unless its a tripplite suggested replacement part. Each configuration of a batteries capacities, cells, voltages, protections, etc would influence charging and discharging characteristics and could require a different firmware...

There are reasons why AA battery chargers list which battery chemistry they can charge ie nimh or rechargeable alkaline or lithium, even though AA batteries are all 1.5V and have the same size.

Last edited:

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
The UPS would need a custom firmware if replacing the batteries with a different chemistry. Even going from LiFePO4 to lithium polymer requires that.

I doubt you'll find a firmware for that unless its a tripplite suggested replacement part. Each configuration of a batteries capacities, cells, voltages, protections, etc would influence charging and discharging characteristics and could require a different firmware...

There are reasons why AA battery chargers list which battery chemistry they can charge ie nimh or rechargeable alkaline or lithium, even though AA batteries are all 1.5V and have the same size.
Well, a follow up to the problem. After 3 days, my boss called very angry (as usual) and told me to open the additional battery bank and replace all batteries in the UPS. I just replaced 2: the ones with 8A (the oterh 2 were 6A), putting 4 6A batteries. Everything worked.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would suggest submitting your written termination notice ASAP.

Your boss is a total dumb-dumb, and could cause the whole place to burn down with his ignorant decisions. You don't want to be "that guy" holding the bag.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

Your boss is a total dumb-dumb, and could cause the whole place to burn down with his ignorant decisions. You don't want to be "that guy" holding the bag.

This. Because, you know, if it comes down to you or your boss if/when something happens you know who is going to be on the loosing side of that blame equation. This is especially true if the boss denies knowing anything about what you did and owner of the building decides you have legal liability for any resulting damage to the facility resulting from using non-supported batteries in that UPS.

To protect yourself, you might send an email to Triplite customer support asking if the UPS model officially supports charging lithium batteries with that particular chemistry. If they respond that it doesn't, I'd forward a copy of the Triplite response to your boss and print a copy (including proof you sent it to your boss). Make sure to save it somewhere offsite (i.e. somewhere with a lesser risk of burning down) to cover yourself....

Reactions: VirtualLarry

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010

Yes, he is, but cant find another place that pays as he does, so, Im a slave here, at least until a miracle happens and I find a publisher that funds my game project. Then I will be the publisher's slave.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Yes, he is, but cant find another place that pays as he does, so, Im a slave here, at least until a miracle happens and I find a publisher that funds my game project. Then I will be the publisher's slave.
Then I guess you're screwed. You have only two courses of action: ... Sue your boss, proactively. or open up your own game store. Then you'll be the big boss and make others use the wrong parts in the game hardware.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
or just get regular SLA batteries and slap a sticker on the side that reads "Is Lithium", or take an UPS outside, pour gasoline on, light it up, then tell the boss that the UPS caught on fire... or take the boss outside, pour...

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry