Problem with NT Server, crashes/overloads

archimedian

Aug 7, 2002
Hello,

I am having a problem with NT server. We run a server that serves over 100 different web sites and gets a fair amount of traffic (I would guess that we serve somewhere around 5 million page views per month). The problem is, we have been experiencing frequent (multiple times per day) crashes each day that require a restart of w3svc. What happens is that the cpu jumps to 99% and just sits there, and nothing works. They usually occur during the day, but we have had them at 4 am and on the weekends, so I think it is more than just the server being overloaded.

At least 90% of our pages run off ASP. Some of them use Access databases. Recently we just moved a bunch of our sites over to SQL server 7.0 (we are running sqlserver on the same machine) from Access. We had a lot of problems just after moving to SQL Server, until we started using stored procedures. At first the CPU would max out at 99 or 100%, with sql server and Inetinfo each taking up about 45%. Then after adding the stored procedures, the CPU now maxes out with Inetinfo.exe at 99%.

The ASP has been coded by a lot of different people, and may have some problems. I have done some brief checks for things like closing connections etc. I recently upgraded SQL server to the highest service pack. I have run virus scans and come up with nothing.

Any suggestions, ideas, shots in the dark or solid solutions are welcome,

Thanks!