Problem with my 3870

Mixman

Sep 12, 2005
I am having trouble with my VisionTek 3870. When on DVI the display will not work during the post, it will only come on as Windows boots. It does work into the VGA connection of my monitor and will show post as normal. I had no trouble with my 1900GT card, which worked great on the DVI connection from post into Windows. I had a 3850 before and thought it was faulty and returned it. In retrospect I am sure it had the same problem as my 3870. Perhaps it the PCIe 2.0 spec ?

My system consists of a Dell 2405 monitor. I have a dual boot of Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit. I reinstalled the Catalyst drivers several times and cleaned in between with a drive cleaner program. I cannot usa the VGA for post all the time because I use that on another computer. What could be the problem here ?

sutahz

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2007
Guess I'll make use of this accidental 2x post.
Why is it I could find a solution/reason to your problem? Maybe I have super powers.
For my google search i used "3870 dvi post" not "how come why my VisionTek 3870 dont work when using my dvi cable during my computers post process?" or the like.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Easy there - we can probably find everything we need on the internet and wouldn't even need the forum. Sometimes you just want a second opinion or fresh info, or you don't know how valid some random post is in another forum.

I've seen this issue on several LCDs and video cards, and sometimes (but not always) it happens on my current setup. My solution is to just keep both the VGA and the DVA cables both hooked to the LCD at the same time. Surely you can get ahold of an old VGA cable from somewhere.

Mixman

Sep 12, 2005
Thanks kmmatney.

sutahz, I did search and read as many forums before I posted, but none are quite close to my situation........Tried both a 3850 and 3870 on my Dell 2405 and I couldn't get either to post. I have a Maximus Formula but I have not read of a consistant trouble between that and the 3800 series ATI's. I doubt it is a Dell issue because there are a lot of people with Dell monitors and there would be an uproar if this was the case. Perhaps this is the case with the 2405 specifically, especially since this is an older monitor ?

The best advice was to play with the bios settings and I have but it still will not post the with the 3870's DVI. Unfortuntately I need the VGA port for another computer.

I wonder if it will be the same with an 8800GT ? Is it a PCIe issue ?

Mixman

Sep 12, 2005
Can't find a solution here, with some saying it's my monitor and some saying it's the cards bios. I'll just return the 3870 and try a 2900pro, since they are cheap nowadays. I was considering an 8800GT, but I am conscerned that its a PCIe 2.0 thing since neither of the PCIe 2.0 cards, one from VisionTek and the other from Sapphire, would work in post with DVI.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
The Asus Maximus Formula is PCI 2.0, so it wouldn't be the new spec. I would have to say it's the monitor itself not the card or motherboard.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Isn't a 3870 dual DVI? Try using the other port. You may be plugged into the secondary output.

Dudewithoutapet

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
kmmatney has had the same problem as me and we both used the same solution. When I first installed me X800GTO, I could only boot in VGA mode, however I always kept both VGA and DVI plugged in and would just press the button to switch inputs. I use a Dell 2005FPW, so I'm sure your 2405 has the same button somewhere. After awhile, I noticed I could just boot into the DVI. Not sure what was wrong originally or what fixed it, but its all good now.

Mixman

Sep 12, 2005
I know I could use the VGA, but that is being used on another computer, and I want to start concentrating on OC on the system that the 3870 is in. Therefore I need a card which I can see the post.

Maybe it's the fact that my 2405 shows as a Generic Monitor in the device manager ? Can't get rid of th 2405 just yet (saving for a 2707 or 3008), so I guess the card has to go. That sucks cause I got a good deal on the 3870 (Best Buy). Oh well, there is always the 2900pro.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Dudewithoutapet
kmmatney has had the same problem as me and we both used the same solution. When I first installed me X800GTO, I could only boot in VGA mode, however I always kept both VGA and DVI plugged in and would just press the button to switch inputs. I use a Dell 2005FPW, so I'm sure your 2405 has the same button somewhere. After awhile, I noticed I could just boot into the DVI. Not sure what was wrong originally or what fixed it, but its all good now.

Same here...the problem just seemed to go away, but I still keep both cables plugged in.

Mixman

Sep 12, 2005
I found an OC bios used that and now I can post. Can't believe that a hacked bios works better than the original. Thanks to everyone that helped.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
ok, I found an oc bios. I'm at 877/2556 currently. Not sure if I want to switch to rivatuner to get it to 890+. The new bios allows me to use the auto fan control instead of forcing it to 50% or whatever with RT, too!

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
ok, I found an oc bios. I'm at 877/2556 currently. Not sure if I want to switch to rivatuner to get it to 890+. The new bios allows me to use the auto fan control instead of forcing it to 50% or whatever with RT, too!

Hey man. Come across with the Linkie, my preciousssss. :p Crunchy niccccccceee OC Biosssesssss....