Problem with GF4 Ti 4200

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
I just got my Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB and wanted to try it as fast as I could, so I put it in an old PC with a super socket 7.
Before that I pasted with Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy some RAM coolers and I *think* that some of the epoxy touched the metal thingies that connect the RAM chips with the video card.
So, the result was a bunch of coloured lines on the monitor when I turned on the PC. I'll be able to put the card on my normal machine in a few days, but till then I am worried that either the card is bad or I damaged it.
Does anybody know
1. if there is a problem with older super socket 7 with ALI Magik chipset mainboards and the GF4 Ti4200
2. if the Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy is a good electricity conductor (I hope I wrote it correctly) so that there might have been a short circuit on the board?

Thank you in advance.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Arctic silver can conduct electricity. Not sure how well, considering its a paste. But yes, it can.

I personally think its a problem with your motherboard. Try your card on a newer PC.

CopperHead

Apr 15, 2000
There are some problems with the Gainward Ti4200's - I've had 2 bad cards myself. Both the Ultra/650 with 64mb 3.5ns ram.

First one lasted over a month, the second about a week. Each developed lines/blocks colored characters during POST and lockups with colored blocks and bars all over the screen in games.

I would try to exchange it for a different brand. (if you haven't modded it too much)

Take a look at this thread

From the Inquirer:

Another on from the Inquirer as well:

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
Thanks for your replies. I finally put the card on a newer board and it worked without problems :D