Problem with Distributed Folding update proxy - EDIT: Working!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Okay, I want to setup a DF update proxy so my local clients don't have to download several MB in updates each time the client is upgraded. I downloaded and setup the proxy properly (I think) but I'm getting an error. It seems it can't connect to the DF download server. I wasn't sure if my server needed a proxy.cfg file so first I tried without one (the first 2 errors) and it failed so I added one and tried again (the last several errors). Here's the log...

========================[ Aug 16, 2002 8:09 AM ]========================
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 96} Unable to check server status
ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 589} Unable to get latest version info, please check network connection

========================[ Aug 16, 2002 8:10 AM ]========================
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 96} Unable to check server status
ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 589} Unable to get latest version info, please check network connection

========================[ Aug 16, 2002 8:13 AM ]========================
ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 116} Unable to check update file length
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 279} Unable to get size of update file /~distribfold/distribfold-patch-106-win9x.exe from bar.csh.rit.edu
ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 116} Unable to check update file length
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 279} Unable to get size of update file /pub/distribfold/download/patch/distribfold-patch-106-win9x.exe from ftp.mshri.on.ca
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 279} Unable to get size of update file /~distribfold/distribfold-patch-106-win9x.exe from bar.csh.rit.edu
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 279} Unable to get size of update file /~distribfold/distribfold-patch-107-win9x.exe from bar.csh.rit.edu
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajupdateproxy.c, line 279} Unable to get size of update file /pub/distribfold/download/patch/distribfold-patch-107-win9x.exe from ftp.mshri.on.ca

Any ideas? I'd like to add a few clients today but I want to get this local update server working before I do that.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Someone posted the same error messages at the DF forum over at Free-DC. Here was the response:

due to circumstances beyond my control bar.csh.rit.edu went down late thursday night (est time)

I will give more info when it becomes availible, but bar should be back online sometime friday.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I tried to manually connect to both sites via browser. The first one (bar.csh.rit.edu) wouldn't come up at all. The second one (ftp.mshri.on.ca) works but if you go to where it's looking (ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfold/download/) there's no patch file in that directory.

Looks like it's working but one site is down and the other doesn't contain the necessary patch(s). :(

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I tried FTP'ing into that site/folder with IE and a DOS client. Both show the "download" directory as empty. Even doing an ls -la in the DOS FTP window shows nothing in the directory yet if you try to download the client from their website it works. :confused:

Edit:

Here's the FTP location where Update Proxy is trying to download from: ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfold/download/patch/
Here's the HTTP download link from the DF website: ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfold/download/distribfold-current-win9x.zip

m0ti

Jul 6, 2001
Checked it out too, and yeah, the download directory is empty.

Hopefully, this is just a temporary problem and they'll fix it quick.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
WOO HOO! Just got back from lunch and found the files are downloaded! :D

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh, now my dumba$$ can't figure out how to set the store where my clients can download from it. :eek: I keep getting "you are not authorized to view this page". :|

Baldy18

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Glad to hear that it is working now. Hope you get those additional issues worked out alright.

m0ti

Jul 6, 2001
Good to see that the first problem was solved.

Best of luck getting everything going 100%.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Okay... Need a little help with where I should drop the DF update proxy store. Here's the situation...

I've got all the updates downloaded. What I need to do is put that folder in the right spot so local clients can grab them via an http request. I don't know jack spit about IIS or hosting websites. :eek: I tried guessing and dropping the folder in Inetpub\www or something but obviously that wasn't the right idea. :confused:

Here's what I need... I've got a folder that has to be available for all network clients to view and it has to be viewable via http request. Having this would really simplify the update process for local DF clients.

Appreciate any help!

m0ti

Jul 6, 2001
ok, I see that you do have IIS.

In general, actually dropping it in Inetpub/wwwroot WILL make it available to others via http. It'll show up at http://<DNS of comp or IP of comp>/<files>

You do have to check a couple of things though.

First off right click on wwwroot and go to properties. There should be a Web Sharing tab there, and there should be list there with the value "/" in it (cause wwwroot is the root of the http tree). If there isn't then add it in (as a virtual directory I believe. By the way, you can do this for any directory on the computer).

Next of all, your IIS may not be running. Go to Administrative Tools (through Control Panel or sometimes through the normal "Programs/All Programs" on the start menu), and open up "Internet Information Services" there. On the left pane, open up the tree (a node at a time) until you hit "Default Web Site." Right click on it and hit start.

If you want it always be on (in which case you'd best keep it patched and uptodate), go into the properties dialog (again through right click) and I think it may have an option there somewhere (can't remember). Additionally, go to Administrative Tools, open up services, and there should be one for IIS there (remember it could be under Internet Information Services, (right click properties) and set it to start up whenever the computer does.

I think that's about it. Let me know how it goes.