Problem with clean install Windows 7 to SSD

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
I attached the Intel 330 180gb SSD to my pc. All other drives were removed. I started Windows 7 Home Premium 64 to do a clean install. Windows goes through all the steps and tries to restart on the very last step but nothing happens. I end up with a blank screen. My Windows copy is on a CD that I purchased several years ago. I changed the controllers to AHCI from IDE before running Windows CD.

My system Specs Are below. I took the specs after loading windows from my original HD. Thanks for any help.

Computer Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Computer Model P55-USB3
Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Operating System Build (O/S) 7601
Operating System (version) 6.1.7601
O/S Language 0409
System RAM 8.2 GB
.NET Framework Version 3.5.30729.5420
CD or DVD Device ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device
System Hard Drive Overview
System Total Storage Size: 1.1 TB
Local Disk C: 931.4 GB
Used space: 621.7 GB
Free Space: 309.7 GB
Local Disk G: 167.7 GB
Used space: 20.9 GB
Free Space: 146.7 GB
Memory Detail
Total Physical Memory 8.2 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.0 GB
Physical Drive 0
Maker
Model WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0
Bus Type ATA
Physical Drive 1
Maker
Model INTEL SSDSC2CT180A3
Bus Type ATA
Internet Browser [101] Internet Explorer
Internet Browser Version [101] 11.0.9600.17501

All HD's removed.
SSD is the only drive connected.
Changed from IDE to ACHI in the Bios.
CD with Windows 7 Home Premium started.
I let Windows format the SSD.
Windows goes through all install steps.
On last step windows looks like it is going to restart but the screen goes black and nothing after that happens.

Thanks for any help.

Moved from Memory and Storage

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Wrong forum?

Is your SSD 1st boot device? It might not be.

I'd do install from USB stick not CD.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Why was the BIOS set to IDE in the first place?

Is your system a Gigabyte system or just uses a Gigabyte motherboard?

Is the Windows CD a retail box set? If not, what is it?

If the CD you are using is some kind of pre-loaded Windows 7 Gigabyte bastardised version it may have been setup in IDE mode. Try changing your BIOS to IDE and attempting to install again. If it does work, then there lies your issue. Your solution is to obtain a clean Microsoft CD or ISO which nobody has messed with.

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
Why was the BIOS set to IDE in the first place?

Is your system a Gigabyte system or just uses a Gigabyte motherboard?

Is the Windows CD a retail box set? If not, what is it?

If the CD you are using is some kind of pre-loaded Windows 7 Gigabyte bastardised version it may have been setup in IDE mode. Try changing your BIOS to IDE and attempting to install again. If it does work, then there lies your issue. Your solution is to obtain a clean Microsoft CD or ISO which nobody has messed with.

Gigabyte motherboard.
Windows 7 CD is a Windows 7 retail box purchase.
The original Bios was set to IDE but I tried to change it to AHCI just for the SSD. Neither AHCI or IDE works for the SSD.

The original Windows 7 was loaded to a HD that was cloned to another HD because the original HD was having sector faults and making a clicking noise.
I was given the Intel SSD as a gift and have been trying to load windows on it because this HD is having sector problems but can't be fixed or cloned. I have a backup of all my data.
I want to end up with the SSD to be the boot drive with Windows and I will re-install the programs on another HD along with data.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would suggest that you dl a new copy of the installation medium (a real copy of windows 7) and burn a new install disc, set the bios to ahci, and install it using your cd key which will work. I did it with my laptop because dell installed windows in raid with a single disc and I went ahci with a samsung 840 pro. You can google the win 7 site with the iso's for this and they are genuine installation medium that require your valid windows 7 cd key to work.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So, are you getting through the sreps where Windows finds the drive, formats it, and places the data?

What sata ports are you using? I would recommend the light-blue ones on that board.

Are you manually installing any drivers during installation?

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
So, are you getting through the sreps where Windows finds the drive, formats it, and places the data?

What sata ports are you using? I would recommend the light-blue ones on that board.

Are you manually installing any drivers during installation?

It places data on the SSD.

I have used both ports,light blue and white.

I did not install any drivers during installation.

Thanks for your reply.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
OK. I didn't see you tell us what your boot order is. In this setup, I recommend the SSD be second after the dvd drive.

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
OK. I didn't see you tell us what your boot order is. In this setup, I recommend the SSD be second after the dvd drive.

my boot order was the SSD second after the DVD.

I think something is not set correct in my BIOS.

There are 2 white sata ports noted as Gygabyte GSATA2 chip.
There are 6 blue sata ports noted as 6 xSata 3Gb's.

Each set can be configured as IDE or RAID/XHD or AHCI.
I changed them to AHCI.
There is another setting of Native Mode Disabled or Enabled. Enabled allows the Sata Controllers to operate in native IDE mode.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
This sounds like a reserved space/MBR issue.

Remove ALL other drives from the PC, only leave the SSD in when installing Windows.

When you get to the drive selection of the install, DELETE every partition listed including anything listed as System Reserved or Recovery. Then create a new partition with the maximum allocatable space it will allow (the full size of your drive). It will create new System Reserved partitions, leave them alone. Let windows install.

If you don't delete the old System Reserved partition or have other drives plugged in when installing, the MBR can get all jacked up. It sounds to me like Windows is installing properly but when it actually goes to do the first boot, its not finding and loading the partition with your Windows install properly and gives you the black screen with the _ on it.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
May have overlooked, that it also makes a difference on which SATA port the optical drive is connected to. The optical drive should be connected to (blue) SATA port #5, and the SSD to (blue) port #0. Boot from the Windows install DVD, then delete all existing partitions on the SSD. Create a "brand new" partition, then format it.
Note: the two "Gigabyte" (white) SATA ports should be disabled in bios, if not being used.

Last edited:

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
I appreciate all the help and tried all information but I still have the same end result.

Is it possible that it is a motherboard problem, or a windows registration problem?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Really sounds like to you need to wipe the partition and start all over again. If you don't then you are inviting more trouble.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Really sounds like to you need to wipe the partition and start all over again. If you don't then you are inviting more trouble.

I would disconnect all other drives, connect the SSD to SATA port #0, connect the DVD drive to SATA port #5, boot the Win7 install DVD, and then when you get to the disk / partition selection screen, hit SHIFT+F10, should bring up a command prompt.

Type DISKPART.
Once in diskpart, type LIST DISK.
Type SELECT DISK #, where # is the number of your SSD.
Type LIST DISK, it should have an asterisk next to it.
Type CLEAN, that will wipe out the first and last million sectors or something like that. It wipes out both MBR and GPT partition tables.
Type EXIT.
in Command Prompt, type EXIT.

You should now be back to the Win7 installer's disk screen. Click "Refresh". Then click "New", then click "Format". Then click "Next".

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I missed the part about using a ssd so I would recommend that you attach it to another pc and use the intel ssd toolbox to secure erase it and start over.

Steve Rimar

Aug 28, 2010
I would disconnect all other drives, connect the SSD to SATA port #0, connect the DVD drive to SATA port #5, boot the Win7 install DVD, and then when you get to the disk / partition selection screen, hit SHIFT+F10, should bring up a command prompt.

Type DISKPART.
Once in diskpart, type LIST DISK.
Type SELECT DISK #, where # is the number of your SSD.
Type LIST DISK, it should have an asterisk next to it.
Type CLEAN, that will wipe out the first and last million sectors or something like that. It wipes out both MBR and GPT partition tables.
Type EXIT.
in Command Prompt, type EXIT.

You should now be back to the Win7 installer's disk screen. Click "Refresh". Then click "New", then click "Format". Then click "Next".

Did all of the above but still the same result.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I noticed that your problem was with the final Windows 7 setup re-start. Have you tried simply pushing reset or cycling power at that point and see if it boots? Ortherwise, look at your BIOS ACPI settings, and consider a BIOS upgrade if one is available.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Not sure if you're still having this issue, but i have a few questions.

Which board revision do you have and which BIOS are your on? It doesn't really seem to matter much looking at the manual and bios section as after f5 they are the same bios for both revisions.

Which sata port are you using? the 2 on their own(gigabyte controller) or the group of 6 which is controlled by the p55 chipset? In the bios, these are changed in two different locations if you weren't aware. I'm not sure how boot order is figured, i would assume it would prefer sata0. which is in the group of 6, closest to the edge, and closest to the 2 stand alone ports. Manual pic would help if you can download that.

In the bios, acording to the manual, the "PCH SATA Control Mode" is for the group of 6 and "Onbaord SATA/IDE control mode" is for the two stand alone gigabyte ports. Unless you're trying to create a raid aray eventually, make sure both are set to AHCI mode like you're trying to. Native mode should be enabled. Not legacy.

In case it is not clear, i'm only reading the manual, i don't have this board.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I had a very similar problem recently. Fixed it this way. Boot off your windows 7 dvd and click repair your computer.

Step four: Once you have reached the System Recovery Options screen, as shown below, you will be faced with a list of choices that can aid you in repairing a damaged Windows 7 operating system. If you wish to try the Startup Repair option first, it is often successful in automatically fixing many different start up issues, but in this article we will be using the Command Prompt option to resolve our problems manually. So, click Command Prompt to continue.

Step five: Now sitting at the command prompt, enter the following command and then press enter:

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

If successful, you should be greeted with the message The operation completed successfully. That's it! Your Master Boot Record has been repaired.

While the above command does fix the MBR, and sometimes that is enough, there still might be an error with the system partition's boot sector and Boot Configuration Data (BCD). This might occur if you have tried to install another operating system alongside Windows 7, such as Windows XP. To write a new boot sector, try the following command:

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

(taken from Tom's hardware)