Problem with "Building DMI Pool"

FATIO

Oct 13, 2002
My son was messing around with my computer saying he wanted to over clock it and now it won't boot up correctly, when I turn it on it show it reading my memory and my drives then stops at "Building DMI Pool" my son said he put everything back the way it was but am still having this problem, what does this mean and what can I do to fix it, it a SOYO SY-K7VTA PRO motherboard with a AMD 933 chip, thanks for any help

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Clear the CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard and it will boot up fine:)

FATIO

Oct 13, 2002
sorry I guess I should have mention that I already tried clearing the cmos, I also tried different memory and an another cpu but it always stops at "Building DMI Pool" what does this mean anyway and any other ideas on how to fix this problem?

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
just out of curiousity, how old is your son? too old for a kick in the arse?
kidding
you can try -flashing the bios and setting to factory default settings, -reinstalling the OS, -removing a hard drive and putting a different formatted one in there + load an OS on it and see if it boots fine from there. also try booting from a floppy or a cdrom and see if that gets u anywhere. remove all non necessary hardware and see if that makes a difference. if you have raid, make sure they are on the correct channels.

if all else fails, try replacing the motherboard or just the bios chip. obviously, start with the easiest and cheapest method to figure out the issue. may help to tell us exactly what your son touched on the computer.

this kinda problem doesnt have one specific solution (as you can tell)
does your son know that AMD chips were locked? last i knew (i haven't kept up with oc news), to OC them they had to be unlocked with graphite pencils (or a kit) to connect little teeny tiny dots on the board around the chip.

After a little search on the Internet, I found this info. Of course, use at your own risk as some one else said this and I am just the medium through which it passes :D Please understand reading anything below is such an acceptance :)

# # #

Go into the BIOS and clear the DMI eventlog.
Set the DMI event logging to DISABLED, save the BIOS settings and exit. Once the system has passed the glitch and booted into windows, restart the system and re-enable the DMI event logging, save & exit. Sorted matey.
Pete (IT Analyst)

- - -

DMI Pool Data is part of the booting process. Depending on which BIOS you have, some add DMI pool check-sum byte for preventing system freezes while verifying DMI data.
Go into the BIOS and clear the DMI event log. To do this, press either del or f1 while your pc once it fires up. Set the DMI event logging to disabled, then save the settings and exit. If the system then boots successfully, go back and re-enable the DMI event logging, save settings & exit.
FDISK /MBR (Master Boot Record) in DOS is often recommended as a fix for non booting pc?s, but it can be dangerous. Before you use it, visit the following site:
http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtfdfskmbr.htm
To do this, restart pc with boot disk in and at the a: prompt type the following
fdisk /mbr (press enter and ensure you leave a space between k and /)
Follow instructions then remove boot disk and reboot.
----

Verifying DMI Pool Data in Windows 95/98
Disclaimer: This information is provided as is without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. In no event will DEW Associates Corporation be liable to you for any damages, including any loss of profit or savings, arising out of the use or inability to use the information contained in this document. DEW Associates Corporation makes no representations or warranties with respect to the contents hereof and specifically disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose.
Overview:
The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers in an enterprise. The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components.
At times, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. In Windows 95 and 98, changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system.
! WARNING ! ALL SUGGESTIONS LISTED HERE ARE BIOS RELATED. FOR A PERMANENT SOLUTION, WE RECOMMEND THAT USERS CONSULT THEIR SYSTEM OR MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURER FOR BIOS UPGRADES.
Possible Resolution Methods:
Method One:
1. Apply power to the computer.
2. Access the system BIOS.
 Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
 Then Load the BIOS Defaults
 Then Load the SETUP Defaults
3. Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
4. Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
5. Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
6. Access the System BIOS.
7. Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
8. Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
9. Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
10. Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:
 Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
The system should continue booting normally.
Method Two:
1. Apply power to the computer.
2. Access the System BIOS.
3. Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" options of the BIOS Setup.
NOTE: Consult the System or Motherboard User's Manual for exact location of the Internal and External CPU Cache settings.
4. Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Update Successful
5. After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
6. Enable the External CPU Cache. This feature is located in the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings".
NOTE: Consult the System or Motherboard User's Manual for exact location of the External CPU Cache setting.
! WARNING ! User's MUST re-enable this feature after resolving the problem for optimal system performance.
7. Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Update Successful
NOTE: If the aforementioned methods fail to resolve the issue, contact the system or motherboard manufacturer to either clear the CMOS or flash update the BIOS for your motherboard. This will entail either:
 Removing the "Clear CMOS" Jumper and resetting the system BIOS; or.
 Obtaining and applying a Flash BIOS Upgrade for your motherboard.

FATIO

Oct 13, 2002
alm4rr in answer to your first question my son started college this year and I need him to fix this problem before I can put on the butt kickers, I am a beginner to all this computer stuff so I don't understand alot of what you wrote but I did try another hard drive but had the same problem, I also tried a startup disk in the floppy and cd drive but the computer stops before it gets to reading the drives, my BIOS is AWARD MODULAR V6.00PG, how do I get into the BIOS to disable DMI? when I hit DEL it takes me to CMOS setup and I don't see anything about DMI there, also I want to thank you for your time helping me it is very much appreciated

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
hrmm, well from what i understand the problem isnt with the DMI pool, but rather what comes after that. if you had diagnostic lights on your MB, that can help tell u at what stage its hanging. Also, if ur a comp newbie, than you should know there are jumper settings on the hard drives which may make them invisible to the computer, too. Your best bet may be to find a local computer shop that will treat you right in this, or get your son to undue the "damage" he has done. =)

although i don't personally endorse any of teh steps i have listed before, have you made any attempts since in fixing it?