Question Problem with Brother printer/scanner

swechsler

Sep 4, 2018
Brother MFC-6800. It's an old device, but it previously worked fine on a Windows 10 machine that had been upgraded from Windows 7 (and when I say "previously", I mean a few days before; it's not like it'd been sitting around for three years). Just tried connecting to a newer PC on which I had recently done a fresh install of Windows 10. In device manager, the MFC shows up as "UCB Composite Device" and Windows can't do anything with it. There don't appear to be any drivers available for it (Brother says it should be natively supported). I tried different ports on the new PC but it didn't make a difference.

Any thoughts as to what I can try?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try mfc-8480dn driver. Chances are it contains same usb driver as 6800. You can also uninstall the win 10 drivee that doesn't and re try manual install.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
These may not provide full functionality, but you may gain more functionality getting more than one of these (see also the linked page two of hits).

Then just do the Device Mgr or Printers properties to a driver update thing to browse to it. Maybe the downloaded .cab needs extracted first... IDK.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When searching for drivers on Brother's site, I don't think simply putting MFC- and then model number is enough. You need the suffix string, like -"JW" or "DW" or whatnot. Try that again.