Problem with booting from an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
So, I recently acquired a the SSD in the title and I thought I would put it in today. WRONG!

I can't get it to boot up after Windows 7 64bit installs.

I go into BIOS and change boot priority to UEFI DVD ROM. Windows installs and at the first restart, it will not boot past BIOS. It POST's just fine then I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and it won't go any further. I have tried almost everything short of a BIOS update. If I try to boot on the non-UEFI option for my DVD drive I get an error from Windows Boot Manager, then if I get past that, it says the drive can't have windows on it...something to do with GPT file system?...dunno

Asus P8P67 Pro mobo.

Any help greatly appreciated...and needed.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
turn off UEFI, write all 0s to hard drive, use regular partitioning table, and start over..

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
He means secure erase your SSD and then attempt to install using non-UEFI mode with an MBR partitioning style.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
guide me please.
As Coup27 nicely elaborated my short reply:
This will work, although you will not have UEFI, I'm not seeing advantage of it.
1. Turn off UEFI and set drive to IDE mode
2. Download DOS version of free Active@ KillDisk to write all 0s to drive. That should take care of GPT partition table. You might have Acronis or other tool that will do the same.
3. Set drive to AHCI mode
4. Boot with Win 7 disc and create partition with its setup.
Note that you might have no problem with UEFI and MBR partitioning system, but I think at this point you'll rather have it working than fight with UEFI.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Thanks guys, I got it sorted out a different way and I am currently on my fresh install.

-Booted from non-UEFI DVD drive AFTER formatting in windows from my old install
-Deleted all partitions in the "Where do you Want to Install Windows" screen
-formatted drive
-NEXT

Worked.

Thanks again

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
As Coup27 nicely elaborated my short reply:
This will work, although you will not have UEFI, I'm not seeing advantage of it.
1. Turn off UEFI and set drive to IDE mode
2. Download DOS version of free Active@ KillDisk to write all 0s to drive. That should take care of GPT partition table. You might have Acronis or other tool that will do the same.
3. Set drive to AHCI mode
4. Boot with Win 7 disc and create partition with its setup.
Note that you might have no problem with UEFI and MBR partitioning system, but I think at this point you'll rather have it working than fight with UEFI.

This.