Problem with Asus Z97 motherboard

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Been having issues with an Asus Z97-e since I got it just over a month ago.

Programs will start to load up, then just freeze with the logo up. I'd reboot, then I'd be stuck at the "Asus...In Search of Incredible" (ironic). My keyboard and mouse won't work, can't get into the bios. If I put the Logitech Unified Receiver directly into the motherboard usb port, then pull all the other USB cables out, it boots to windows. I then reboot, go to the bios (which I can now get into) and it shows my non-bootable storage drive as my ONLY boot drive and ignores my Kingston SSD drive which is a boot drive. It shows both drives there, just doesn't have it on the Boot drive box at the right of the screen. If I click for boot order, select the SSD, it immediately boots that. Going back it still doesn't list it as a boot drive. This has happened three times since I got the motherboard with minor differences every time. Any idea what's going on?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I wonder if there is a problem with the SATA cable. Swap cables, and if that doesn't work, tell us what port your SSD is plugged into.

There are also a couple BIOS releases that mention improved system stability, so you may want to grab the latest if you haven't already.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Thanks. Yeah, I did try swapping SATA cables around last time with the same result. The bios is one behind, but the new one says it adds new processors. I'm a bit scared to try flashing the bios given the current problems.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yeah, if the BIOS is that close, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you looked for a firmware update for the SSD? My Crucial had an update for a similar issue. If that doesn't fix the issue, move all USB devices to the rear ports and see if the problem goes away.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Just ran a google search. Appears to be a common problem with Asus z97 motherboards. There is no solution. Most people try reflashing the bios and get it going, but only temporarily before the problem comes back. I wasn't sure about getting an Asus board because I dropped them years ago because of problems with them (used them from 1994 to about 2004). But all the manufactures appear to be putting out garbage nowadays.

However most people aren't getting the problem where they can't get into the bios or boot the system. Might have to try flashing the bios. If I dont' post back, it didn't work. ;)

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Just did some hot swapping and default setting and now it shows the SSD drive but not the hard drive in boot priority. Thinking this won't last. Bios clearly has a huge bug, just surprised there isn't more complaining.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yeah, many similar component to my Asus Z97 Mark1 and I have not encountered freezing since my SSD firmware update IIRC.