Problem w/ new build

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
I'm having trouble with my new build (specs in signature).

I put everything together and when I went to turn it on, all the fans came on, lights came on..... but nothing after that, it just continues forever until I shut it off by flicking the switch on the PSU. There is no display, no beeps, nothing.

So I tried removing the memory to see what happened; with the memory gone, the appropriate beep sequence is heard (signaling memory is missing.) So I am assuming that the problem is not the memory.

Then I removed the video cards; first one to see if that made a difference, it did not. Then I removed both and still nothing; the beep sequence for missing VGA is not heard. So I am assuming that it never gets to the point where the mobo checks to see if the VGA is present.

I'm not much of a troubleshooter but I am thinking it could be a mobo or CPU problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

 

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
3,042
0
0
As is common practice, try booting with the bare minimum:

1. CPU
2. RAM One stick only
3. Video Card one only

Preferrably out of the case on a non-conductive surface (cardboard will do).

Does that MB require external speakers connected to hear the failure codes? I know most Asus do.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
 

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
As is common practice, try booting with the bare minimum:

1. CPU
2. RAM One stick only
3. Video Card one only

Preferrably out of the case on a non-conductive surface (cardboard will do).

Does that MB require external speakers connected to hear the failure codes? I know most Asus do.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Right now that is what I am doing, just the one video card and one stick of RAM.

I have tried clearing CMOS by removing the battery (there is no jumper on this board for whatever reason) and that did not help. As for the speaker... if I am hearing the beeps when memory is not found, is that the failure codes you are talking about?
 

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
3,042
0
0
There is a jumper on your board.

Page 2-2 of your manual shows it as item #9 CLRTC.

How many sticks of RAM are you using and in which DIMM slots?


And yes, the beep codes are exactly that: codes. They mean something.
 

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
3,042
0
0
Another thing I noticed:

Page 2-13 of the manual states: "Due to Intel spec definition, X.P.M. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Try just three DIMMs (one per channel) assuming you have 4ea. x 1G.

 

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
There is a jumper on your board.

Page 2-2 of your manual shows it as item #9 CLRTC.

How many sticks of RAM are you using and in which DIMM slots?


And yes, the beep codes are exactly that: codes. They mean something.

In normal usage I will have 2 DIMMs, in slots A1 and B1. For now I took out the other module and have one DIMM in slot A1. I did try putting it in A2 (closest to CPU) but that didn't do anything.

Unfortunately I'm not getting any codes whatsoever to signify that anything is wrong; there is only beeping when the memory is removed. Even when both VGA are removed, there is no beep (according to the manual, when VGA is not detected there is supposed to be a long beep followed by three shorter ones.)

Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Another thing I noticed:

Page 2-13 of the manual states: "Due to Intel spec definition, X.P.M. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Try just three DIMMs (one per channel) assuming you have 4ea. x 1G.

It's a 2GBx2 kit.


 

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Did you clear the CMOS with the jumper?

Yes, I cleared the CLRTC jumper and last night I removed the battery for a few minutes to clear CMOS. Both times nothing has changed.

 

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
37,759
18,039
146
I would put my money on the mobo being bad...but I've also seen the same exact symptom being a CPU issue. I tried everything, barely ever see a bad CPU like that.
 

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
3,042
0
0
Originally posted by: Extelleron
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Did you clear the CMOS with the jumper?

Yes, I cleared the CLRTC jumper and last night I removed the battery for a few minutes to clear CMOS. Both times nothing has changed.

Not that I put too much faith in NewEgg reviews ;) but listen to this;

"Cons: Originally installed only 2 sticks of ram and it would not do anything, not even beep. Had to drive about 40 miles just to get 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM and it still would not boot. Moved the RAM to the orange slots and it finally booted. Tried 2 sticks on the orange slots and it would not boot (the manual states that it would)unless I did a BIOS update. I'm curious to see now if it will work with all six slots populated. Will know more when my FEDEX delivers my memory this Monday "

Mmmm... needs three DIMMs to light up. Don't know what to say. This stuff is still very new.


 

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,127
0
71
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Originally posted by: Extelleron
Originally posted by: KGBMAN
Did you clear the CMOS with the jumper?

Yes, I cleared the CLRTC jumper and last night I removed the battery for a few minutes to clear CMOS. Both times nothing has changed.

Not that I put too much faith in NewEgg reviews ;) but listen to this;

"Cons: Originally installed only 2 sticks of ram and it would not do anything, not even beep. Had to drive about 40 miles just to get 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM and it still would not boot. Moved the RAM to the orange slots and it finally booted. Tried 2 sticks on the orange slots and it would not boot (the manual states that it would)unless I did a BIOS update. I'm curious to see now if it will work with all six slots populated. Will know more when my FEDEX delivers my memory this Monday "

Mmmm... needs three DIMMs to light up. Don't know what to say. This stuff is still very new.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm hoping that is the problem, so I ordered another DIMM for a total of 3. Now that live cashback is way down it was expensive, but what can you do.



 

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
3,042
0
0
Cool. :cool:

Let us know what happens.

Interesting enough, the AT MB review notes that this board was the most compatible right out of the box. :laugh: