Question Problem using enterprise-class HDDs with Asrock X570 motherboard

Anton Malvo

Mar 2, 2021
I have two 12TB HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 HDDs (HUH721212ALE600) from Western Digital that I wish to use temporarily in my desktop PC until I can afford to expand to a multibay NAS system. The motherboard is an Asrock X570 Creator with the latest BIOS update. I am using a 1200W Corsair PSU. The motherboard BIOS is unable to see either of the two Ultrastar DC HC520 HDDs. The disks do not appear to be spinning on power up. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited:

Anton Malvo

Mar 2, 2021
It sounds like you've discovered what happens when installing "shucked" hard drives using a regular SATA power connector (because of one of the power pins).

https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Ultrast...5-Inch-Internal/dp/B07PF1TVND#customerReviews

View attachment 40479

Yep, it's the Power Disable feature. My particular HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 HDDs (HUH721212ALE600) supports the Power Disable feature (SATA revision 3.3) and is stuck in a hard reset condition preventing the HDD from spinning up. Western digital apparently sells the HUH721212ALE600 with and without the feature. I have a couple of options including use of a Molex to SATA cable.

Thank you much for your quick and knowledgeable response.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I really hate the fact that so many of those Amazon reviews (apparently) want to tar+feather 'Platinum Micro', of which I've never had any issues with, although buying CPUs, and not HDDs, solely because those customers DIDN'T DO THEIR HOMEWORK, and learn about the "SATA 3.3 Power-Disable feature" of many/all modern larger HDDs (especially "Enterprise" drives).

Kind of like buying a Coffee Lake CPU, and attempting to plug it into a Skylake mobo. Not going to work, although they will (physically) fit.

(No anger against the OP, he is at least reasonable, checking in here first to see what's actually going on.)