problem recognizing video card

mastermynd27

Dec 24, 2001
I am having the strangest problem with my computer. It had been working as of earlier in the day, however, I had used some of the components to test out a new machine. When I put the components (vid card, sound card, hard drive) back onto the motherboard I ran into a problem. The system seems to power up okay, the fan turns on, the hard drive spins up and the cd-rom can open and close fine. The video card is where the problem is. The fan works just fine, but i cannot get a signal to my moniter, which just cannot get out of standby. I have tried 3 video cards in the agp slot and they all do the same thing. I have even tried changing power supplies, and power cords, to no advail. any help on this matter would be very appreciated.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
It looks like you fried your motherboard. You gotta be careful taking out cards from both the PCI and AGP slots. You gotta touch the power supply whilst you're doing it and make sure the power is off completely by turning it off in the back.

powerMarkymark

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2002
If you have access to a PCI Video card, try it (in a PCI slot of course) and see if the system boots.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Did it ever come to your mind that it might not even be the graphics card's fault? No picture does not necessarily mean that everything else is working! Much more often, the entire thing doesn't start anymore. Knocked something else out of its socket? All cables in place? Cards all inserted all the way?

regards, Peter