Problem overclocking Duron 700 on A7V

KingM

Sep 27, 2000
Hi all!

Today I tried overlocking the Duron 700 on my A7V (rev 1.02 BIOS 1003).
The Duron reached 900 Mhz without any problems with the default voltage
of 1.575/1.60V jumpered on the mobo. The voltage reported by the BIOS
is a little bit higher than the jumpered voltage (1.65V). This seems to
be normal as the voltage reported by the BIOS has been the same in
JumperFree mode before trying to overclock.

The problem is that the Duron doesn´t reach higher speeds stable even
when voltage is set to maximum (1.85V by jumpers / 1.90V reported by
BIOS). Windows me hangs at boot or just after entering Windows screen.
No way to get into Windows to do same stress test.

Heat is not the problem, as the reported temperature (PC-Probe 2.12) is
going around 34°C at idle and 38-39°C after about 2 hours of 3Dmark2000
Demo when CPU is running at 900 MHz at 1.60V with Chrome Orb ver 3.

What is the problem, am I doing something wrong or is the Duron at its
limit ?

Here´s the data printed on the CPU itself: D700AUT1B AKBA0031MPMW
K0026830370 - Is it correct, that the CPU is manufactured in week 31
year 2000 ? Just for information ?!?!

Please help, I want to break the 1 GHZ barrier with that Duron !!!

fast0

Aug 17, 2000
Strange!

Judging by the temps, an extra 100 MHz shouldn't be a problem, I dont think you mentioned if you tried 950 (if you can?)

See how that goes.
It's possible that the duron can't simply do it.. which may be the case. If you pumped the voltage to max, and you selected 1000.. and it will only boot part way its probably at its max. :(

There's probably not a lot you can do, again, if you can get 900 but not 1000 on exactly the same system config, you know where the breaking point is:(

KingM

Sep 27, 2000
I´ve tried 950 MHz with all different voltage settings. The computer powered up fine with 950 MHz, but I was unable to reach Windows without BSODs.
I think my Duron is reacting suspicous. I think the voltage increase from 1.60V to 1.85V must help the Duron to run more stable, but it doesn´t help at all. It only increases the CPU temperature. On overclcockers.com you can find many 700 Durons that reach 1 GHz. They are running much hotter than my CPU does. But they reach 1GHz.

I unlocked my Duron with a pencil. Is it possible that the pencil bridges are not working correct with such high frequencies ? I couldn´t find a pen with conductive silver/gold fluid.

Another question is, is it possible that the 1003 BIOS only supports CPU correct up to 900 MHz ?
Until the 1004 BIOS was released AMD recommended the A7V only for processors up to 900 MHz.
Only the higher temperatures with the 1004 BIOS prevented me from using it.

I will give the 1004 a try and see if it will be possible to reach frequencies over 900 MHZ stable.

Thanks for your help !

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
On my 700 I could only get to 900Mhz @ 1.80v with a Golden Orb HeatSink/Fan. But when I got the new Chrome Orb replacement my temperature dropped 5c and was able to go 950 using multi then upped my FSB to 105mhz to get to 997Mhz. I believe the trick is in the cooling. Probably if I had a Globalwin FOP32-1 or Alpha P6035 I could get higher. I'm also using Arctic Silver 80% pure liquified silver thermal grease. What are you using for a HSF (HeatSink/Fan)and thermalgrease?

KingM

Sep 27, 2000
I´m using a chrome orb ver. 3.0, the one with the square bottom / redesigned clip and silicone compound made by Silmore, Taiwan, that came with the orb for replacing the original tape.

I´ve tried 1004 BIOS today, just for checking out if it might be a BIOS problem, but no go too.

The system posts without any problem, but no way to reach Win me stable and without BSOD.

The strange thing to me is that I get the CPU to 900 MHz with default core voltage, but increasing the voltage doesn´t make it more stable on frequencies above 900 MHz. The system runs for hours using 3Dmark2000 Demo without any lockups.

I´ll try rising FSB and will report what happened, but I would like to leave FSB at its default because of the SCSI and ISDN controller which might become unstable.

Thanks alot

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
For that I would return the 700 and get a 650. People have been getting better luck with those and the percentage of overclock would make me happier. Even at 900.