Problem installing windows :(

Nutster

Banned
Mar 9, 2001
I just got a P233 system in the mail and I have been trying to install either Win95 OSR2 or Win98. It makes it past scandisk and then throws up a kernal (heap) error. Never have seen anything like this, could someone "in the know" give me some helpful advice? Thanks in advance,

Nut

Nutster

Banned
Mar 9, 2001
Bruno,
It came with no OS installed. I fdisk'd then formatted and now it won't let me install any Win OS. Maybe that will help some and thanks,

Nut

Feb 24, 2001

<< It makes it past scandisk >>

<----bone head :frown:

i should have re-read. thought it was getting the error when running scandisk in the os. can't think of anything sorry.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
This is a Pentium 233MMX?

If both Win95 and Win98 give errors after scandisk on a cleanly formatted drive, it might be possible that the RAM is dead.

EDO or SDRAM in that system?

Nutster

Banned
Mar 9, 2001
Andy,
It is SDRAM.....I pulled all three sticks out and reseated them, no help. Here is the error message it gives with Win98............

KERNAL: Unable to initialize heap
Please remove any floppy disks from your drives
and press any key to restart your system.

Maybe that will help a little bit more.

Nut

AndyHui

Oct 9, 1999
Can you install with just one stick of SDRAM?

AndyHui

Oct 9, 1999
If the problem turns out not to be RAM, then the other thing I can think of is a bad L2 cache COAST module.

Nutster

Banned
Mar 9, 2001
Tried pulling one stick and now it is installing windows. The stick I pulled has a -8e on it and the other two sticks in it have a 10 on them. I know that is the nanosecond rating, could that be the problem? Thanks for the help guys,

Nut

AndyHui

Oct 9, 1999
The ratings are OK....10ns is PC66 or very early PC100. Seems like at least one of those sticks of RAM you have pulled out is no good.