Problem installing Windows Me/ / scanregw causes IPF

LarryF

Apr 2, 2000
I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 98se to Windows Me.
When the installation is doing something with the registry (writing to?) it crashes on scanregw (Illegal operation, IPF etc.). I can't get beyond that point.

I tried running scanregw from the current Win 98se OS and it worked fine.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Fortunately, after rebooting my machine seems to run fine in Win98 SE.

ps I'm using the legal upgrade disk I just purchased.

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
I don't have a solution but just a note that I had similar troubles trying to upgrade 98SE to WinME. The install went fine and on the final boot just prior to the icons popping up I would get a window that reported: Explorer.exe has an error. If you have further problems try rebooting". Well I booted until I couldn't boot no more! I went to safe mode and I got the icons there but the same error window.
I reformatted and everything is OK. I heard somewhere that attempts to upgrade were having problems everywhere.
Anyone know anything for certain?

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
My upgrade wasn not pretty. Drivers were all messed up amongst other things such as a few dos protection errors after the system would run scandisk (on initial upgrade). I would reccomend backing everything up, reformatting and then doing a clean install. Better yet install Win2k instead.

LarryF

Apr 2, 2000
Maybe the upgrade to Win Me is not worth the trouble. Win 98se is working OK, and I don't want to spend the $$$ to move to Win2K.

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Its a longshot, but make sure your memory is not out of spec in any way, i read during the install CAS3 ram set at CAS2 can cause problem as could a computer overclocked that had previously ran 98 fine.

Wik

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2000
Upgrade = bad. Just back up the things you need and do a format and full install. You can use the upgrade disks for this. Just go into dos and make your windows\system directory and copy the contents of win9x on the ME disk to that directory. Then run setup. This will copy all of the files needed to install windows ME to your Hard Drive and install from there.

LarryF

Apr 2, 2000
Wik, Thanks for the tip I'm a little slow with this stuff. Is this right/:

1) back up files
2) format c: hard drive
3) boot from floppy
4) create c:\windows\system directory and copy the contents of win9x on the ME disk to that directory
5) run install from c:\windows\system folder

Thanks,

Wik

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2000
All correct except it is setup that you run from the c:\windows\system folder. Then during the install it will ask you if you want to install in the directory of C:\windows.000 Select no and have it install in c:\windows It will then install twice as fast as it would from the CDrom and also it will never ask you to use the WinME cd when installing new hardware for drivers. All of the cabs will be on the hard drive and it will know to look for them there.

Also, with an upgrade disk it just may install using just that disk. On some windows upgrade disks it will ask you to stick in your old version (Windows 98) to verify you are really upgrading. Now I installed ME this way and it said it was Upgrade on the disk. I installed it the way I instructed you and never had to put in my old 98. This ME was given to me by a friend who works for a software store and gets free samples of new software all the time.

LarryF

Apr 2, 2000
Tried this approach and it worked great! Installed off the harddrive Thanks
btw It did ask for a previous win 98 disk to verify proof of ownership during the install process (upgrade from win98 version of winME) Good thing I had it.

Wik

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2000
Well I am glad it worked well for you. It is nice not ever having to put the damn Windows CD back in when you install something new. Also installing from the hard drive reduces the install time alot. I can thank my friend Greg Crisp in Marion,Iowa for teaching me this trip a few years back.