Problem: How to remove permanent marker writing from a calculator surface (e.g. TI-8X series)?

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
I recently sold my TI-89 through Ebay because my math teacher doesn't allow it. I purchased the calculator about 6 months ago and haven't used it since. However, I did write my name in permanent marker on three very visible areas of the calculator (front cover, inside cover, back of calculator). I just realized today that I need to get the marker writing removed before I ship the calculator. Any ideas on how to remove it?

I've already tried three different all purpose cleaners as well as isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

Thx fellas

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
I figured paint thinner might work as well, but I wasn't quite sure. Has anyone actually tried this before (I doubt it, but could be possible)? Any other suggestions?

thx notfred

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
abracadabra1, have you tried that citrus stuff Goo Gone?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
abracadabra1, according to the bottle it removes stickers, grease, gum, tar, crayon and tape. While it doesn't say permanent marker, tar isn't easy to remove at all, so I would guess permanat maker should rub off at well. You can find the stuff in small clear bottles [8Fl. Oz.] at your local drug store and automotive stores. Hope this helps.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I would be concerned that paint thinner would melt the plastic. Goo gone might work, but it's kinda greasy.

Just use rubbing alcohol.. sheesh people. :D It will come right off, and it won't hurt the plastic.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

<< I would be concerned that paint thinner would melt the plastic. Goo gone might work, but it's kinda greasy.

Just use rubbing alcohol.. sheesh people. :D It will come right off, and it won't hurt the plastic.
>>

<<

<< I've already tried three different all purpose cleaners as well as isopropyl rubbing alcohol >>

>>

Um....:)

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Acetone will remove it.... but will probably eat the plastic too. You might test it on a small area to find out. This would be the last thing you should try, but it will work.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I would think Paint Thinner would do it, but I would also think it would take of the black paint of a TI-89 along with it.

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
My way is easier.

I have done this so I know it works.

Just use an eraser on it. It may take a little while not very long .. its very easy.

cthulhu

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2000
There are several different kinds of paint thinner(or solvent). I am surprised that the rubbing alcohol didn't work. Did you put some muscle into it? You could try mineral spirits - look in paint thinner section of hardware store. No matter what solvent you try, you should test a small patch on the back of the calculator. If the plastic starts to frost - turn white- then don't use it. Anything stronger than mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol will probably frost the plastic.

I am not sure about the different cleaners mentioned. You could try something like fantastic or 409 but I would bet that if the rubbing alcohol didn't work then they won't either.

I know that an eraser takes crayon off walls. I fell asleep while the wife was gone shopping and my 2 yr old "colored" our hallway walls. I've never used it for marker.

Oh, try wd40. They claim to be able to take all sort of things off. I would try a test patch first though. The smell might linger - hmmm.

Let us know what works. Would the buyer accept it with your name on it? Let him worry about getting it off.

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I recently had to remove a layer of paint off something plastic, and I found this stuff in Hobby Lobby called Turpenoid - it's an odorless turpentine substitute. Worked very well, but it took some elbow grease to get it off. I'll bet it would work on permanent marker too. Good luck :)