Probably going from cable modem to dialup.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Hello all,

My wife and I have been revisiting our expenses to try and free up a little more "discretionary" money. We have pretty much decided to get rid of cable and cable modem and replace it with basic $9.10 cable and dial-up.

Any suggestions for dial-up (other than AOL :))? It has been years since I was on dial-up and don't know where to start. Thanks.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Ouch...

I was really happy with AT&T dialup when I had them. Plus they have a $16 month deal if you use AT&T long distance...

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Ouch...

I was really happy with AT&T dialup when I had them. Plus they have a $16 month deal if you use AT&T long distance...

We have verizon as our long distance carrier. Besides, I thought it was common place to pay $9.95 a month for unlimited dial-up. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Any suggestions...

Suicide? I feel for you. At least I've always been stuck with dial-up so this is the hell I've always known. Serriously though, go get a second job or something to keep your cable :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I had to do this a few months ago. You'll get used to it... peoplepc.com I think has unlimited for $10/month as do some others. Bigzoo.net is the cheapest I've found and what I use. I have only 150 hours month, but I tend to come in under that, and it's $9/month. Or if you prepay 3 or 6 month bulk packages you can get it for as little as $6/month. I'm happy with it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
if i lost my broadband, i would not have internet, i cant go back to dialup
That's what I thought and I was a diehard lover of broadband, but you do get used to it :(

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Try the Netzero high speed. Only $14.95 a month and supposed to be faster then most others.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
if i lost my broadband, i would not have internet, i cant go back to dialup

I need to have it so I can continue with my sport's pools. :)

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Any suggestions...

Suicide? I feel for you. At least I've always been stuck with dial-up so this is the hell I've always known. Serriously though, go get a second job or something to keep your cable :p

Thanks. I hardly think it will be the end of the world. :)

Although I will also need to find a spot to host my domain and my webpage.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I had to do this a few months ago. You'll get used to it... peoplepc.com I think has unlimited for $10/month as do some others. Bigzoo.net is the cheapest I've found and what I use. I have only 150 hours month, but I tend to come in under that, and it's $9/month. Or if you prepay 3 or 6 month bulk packages you can get it for as little as $6/month. I'm happy with it.

Thanks. I'll start looking at these guys.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Stay away from Earthlink.

Why is that? My old company used to have Earthlink connections for travellers. I didn't use it much, but when I did, it was very good.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Dial up is going to be different from region to region.

So unless someone here lives next to you, they are going by what they know for THEIR area.

With that said, try....

Netzero High speed $14.95

Regular Juno/Netzero $ 9.95

Those are the cheapest, and I say try the high speed out since you are used to cable, and is only a extra $5 a month. If you don't see a difference then get put on the $9.95 a month plan.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I am thinking about doing this. I get free wireless access at school if I need to upload/download something important. I am there four days a week anyway. Otherwise when I get home I usually read email and surf forums/ news sites. I could prob save $35 a month using Bigzoo.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
dood, screw basic cable, get an antennea (?) and just keep cable internet. do not go back to dial up after being on cable for so long. thats like driving a bmw and then going to a skateboard with 3 wheels.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I feel for you :( I dread going home to dial up this summer :( University connection is nice! :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: wyvrn
I am thinking about doing this. I get free wireless access at school if I need to upload/download something important. I am there four days a week anyway. Otherwise when I get home I usually read email and surf forums/ news sites. I could prob save $35 a month using Bigzoo.
Yeah, I was forced into going dialup, but now that broadband is recently available again I'm in truly no rush to switch back. I have broadband at work, and at home all I'm ever doing is surfing AT and checking bank account, email, etc. anyway. Sure it sucks downloadin music, and I can't do xbox live, but otherwise $9 vs. $40+ is pretty sweet.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I suggest you revisit your expenses. Back to the drawing board, last meetings conclusion didn't work out too well :). Sorry, I'm not much help, any decision that ends in going to dialup was done under extreme alcoholic conditions.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Maybe you could find a neighbor that has WiFi and piggyback onto them or ask them to allow you to share their BB and offer to subsidize $10/Mo?

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: batmang
dood, screw basic cable, get an antennea (?) and just keep cable internet. do not go back to dial up after being on cable for so long. thats like driving a bmw and then going to a skateboard with 3 wheels.

The problem is that I don't want to pay $55 for internet access. Without cable, they add $15 to the $40 monthly charge.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
I suggest you revisit your expenses. Back to the drawing board, last meetings conclusion didn't work out too well :). Sorry, I'm not much help, any decision that ends in going to dialup was done under extreme alcoholic conditions.

Good idea. Wife and I will stay off the sauce and have this discussion again tonight. :)