Pro-lifers, please explain this to me

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Cerpin text is basically arguing that if you shoot someone and they die, you are not guilty of murder, for several reasons.
Well, actually, that depends on a lot of things -- most importantly the establishment of intent or at a very minimum criminal negligence -- but that isn't really dealing with the brunt of your analogy, which when dismantled according the criteria of causation I stipulated earlier shows it to be inept: necessary and sufficient conditions.

One, the act of pulling the trigger did not kill them, the bullet entering their brain is what killed them.
Pulling the trigger on a loaded gun aimed fatally at a target creates a sufficient condition to result in the death of the person, hence causation. Sex isn't sufficient to cause pregnancy.

Two, because people have been killed by things other than being shot, then that means that being shot does not cause someone to die.
Necessary and sufficient. Implantation is necessary and sufficient for pregnancy. Sex is neither.

And three, because people have been shot before and survived, the act of shooting them did not cause their death.
All that means is that guns aren't necessary to cause the death of people. They can certainly be sufficient. Sex is neither.

You fail, and your analogy fails.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Peelback79

No one can possibly deny that you can have sex without pregnancy, but why should either of the involved parties be able to destroy the life once it's there? Just because it can't vote doesn't mean it doesn't have rights. If you don't want raise a child, give it up for adoption.

You're going to have to read the thread. This has already been covered.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Why is everyone avoiding the fact that waivers to bodily rights must be explicit? Do you realize that this whole debate is rendered irrelevant because of that?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Cerpin Taxt
Why is everyone avoiding the fact that waivers to bodily rights must be explicit? Do you realize that this whole debate is rendered irrelevant because of that?

What are bodily rights?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I'm sorry but you can honestly expect a real debate when you can't even acknowledge the fact that sex causes pregnancy. This is a waste of time, I don't know why I even jumped in.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
I'm not really pro-life per say...nor am I an abortion activist.

That said, I think it comes down to the reason for abortion. I personally am against abortion as a means of birth control....it just seems like such a drastic and irresponsible measure to take when the woman and man had so many things at their disposal to prevent pregnancy. Sure if it is unplanned it is an "oh shit" moment for many, but I think it is the right decision to take responsibility for your actions....instead of resorting to a pretty good size medical procedure at times to worm your way out of it.

It just reeks of "do anything to not take responsibility" to me....and in many cases promotes irresponsibility.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21

What are bodily rights?

I dunno, you tell me. Do you believe a fertilized egg is a person?. Do you believe there should be laws passed that say so?. There is a ballot initiative in Colorado that would define a fertilized egg as a person, I was hoping that I'd been fooled by an Onion headline.

I don't know if people will consider the ramifications of making of such thing a law. Fertilized eggs often fail to implant, for one thing, and pregnancies often miscarry. Will women be prosecuted for manslaughter under Colorado's new law for having miscarriages? Will there be a corps of sanitary pad inspectors to determine whether heavy, late periods are early miscarriages or just random occurrences?

What about pregnant women who smoke? Will they be taken into protective custody to prevent harm to the fetus? How about those who don't take their prenatal vitamins regularly or get enough exercise?. Perhaps the state of Colorado should just declare women to be walking, talking uteruses and be done with it.

If a fertilized egg is a person, can you imagine the havoc that will be created? I mean, how do you count people for censuses and congressional districts and various statistics, since one can never know exactly how many "people" there are?

Do all women get to file for tax exemptions for "children," even if the "child" never implanted and got flushed down the toilet on a tampon? How many "children" can a woman file for in a year?

How will the state file legal documents (normally called birth certificates) to ascertain the citizenship of fertilized eggs? How will the state file death certificates? Will all women be required to send in their pads and tampons for testing, to ensure that no "people" were conceived and died? Will a woman who had a "person" show up on her tampon be investigated for murder?

If a fertilized egg has actual due process rights, then it's going to be awfully difficult for pregnant women to be arrested, tried or imprisoned. If you imprison the woman, you've imprisoned this other "person" without due process. So you'd need to have a proper trial for the egg, too. Furthermore, it would need a lawyer to be appointed, and its lawyer would probably want to make sure the egg's trial was severed from the trial of the woman whose womb is about to go to prison.

How about inheritance? If grandpa dies leaving money to his grandchildren, to be divided equally, does a fertilized egg inherit on equal terms with the grandchildren who have already been born? If so, how do you prove that the egg was fertilized before Grampa's death, not after?

Someone may believe that a person is created at fertilization, but it's patently ridiculous for the government to behave as though that's the case. And that's excluding the fact that the debate over when a potential person becomes an actual person is a religious or philosophical debate, and thus the government should butt out. This smells, sounds and looks like a ballot initiative designed solely to get right wing nutcases out to vote in a swing state.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Originally posted by: JD50
Cerpin text is basically arguing that if you shoot someone and they die, you are not guilty of murder, for several reasons.
Well, actually, that depends on a lot of things -- most importantly the establishment of intent or at a very minimum criminal negligence -- but that isn't really dealing with the brunt of your analogy, which when dismantled according the criteria of causation I stipulated earlier shows it to be inept: necessary and sufficient conditions.

One, the act of pulling the trigger did not kill them, the bullet entering their brain is what killed them.
Pulling the trigger on a loaded gun aimed fatally at a target creates a sufficient condition to result in the death of the person, hence causation. Sex isn't sufficient to cause pregnancy.

Two, because people have been killed by things other than being shot, then that means that being shot does not cause someone to die.
Necessary and sufficient. Implantation is necessary and sufficient for pregnancy. Sex is neither.

And three, because people have been shot before and survived, the act of shooting them did not cause their death.
All that means is that guns aren't necessary to cause the death of people. They can certainly be sufficient. Sex is neither.

You fail, and your analogy fails.

Pray tell, how without sex, pregnany occurs?
His analogy is rather undefined, but it is spot on. Just because people have guns and use them does not mean murders will occur. However, if there is an accident regardless of an individuals intent, does not make him any less responsible for it's outcome. How responsible, in the case of a gun crime, is up to a judge and a jury of peers.

Just because people have sex, doesn't mean it will result in pregnancy. But, regardless of their intent, when a pregnancy occurs it make both parties responsible.

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: AreaCode707

Moonie, even slaves chose to live out their slavery over taking their own life. And their slavery lasted a lifetime, not simply 9 months. Slavery imposed on us by nature, whether it is bearing a parasite or existing in this facade of a world, is generally more bearable than slavery imposed on us by our peers.

Having to raise a child you don't want could demolish your entire life. What if you wanted to go to college and focus on your career? What if having a child you couldn't afford to have condemned you to poverty? (It's one of the reasons why poor people continue to remain poor and cannot advance economically.)

Adoption. Having to raise a child you didn't want or plan for can ruin your life. Having to bring one to term and then give it up won't.

Onceler

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
in the case of real rape(not just some lady claiming she was raped 6 months after conception) where the victim has been subjected to evidence gathering to determine that there was a rape it should be mandatory that the fetus is aborted so as not to pass on criminal traits

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Onceler
in the case of real rape(not just some lady claiming she was raped 6 months after conception) where the victim has been subjected to evidence gathering to determine that there was a rape it should be mandatory that the fetus is aborted so as not to pass on criminal traits

... Crime isn't hereditary...

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: manowar821

Crime isn't hereditary, but violent criminals often have similar traits which can lead to crime, such as explosive temper, psychosis, mentally unbalanced, etc..

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Juddog
Originally posted by: manowar821

Crime isn't hereditary, but violent criminals often have similar traits which can lead to crime, such as explosive temper, psychosis, mentally unbalanced, etc..

Yes yes, but you do forget how easily these types of issues can be dealt with (or prevented, even). Take a look at Sweden's crime rate.

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
Wow , more later but I agree with Red for once for the most part.
I'll have to sleep on it and respond when I've had some sleep to be sure It's not a trap.