Pro-life pharmacy fails miserably.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The reason it failed is because it eliminated virtually every profitable item. Cigarettes, cosmetics etc.

If they had not carried a few items it wouldn't have hurt them, but they went out of their way not to make a profit.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
This should have been a raving success. After all, they owners obviously weren't selfish evil profit-seeking leeches. I think they deserve a subsidy for their virtuous business practices.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Sounds like they chose a bad location and a bad economy in which to start a new business.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Sounds like they chose a bad location and a bad economy in which to start a new business.

But...wouldn't blonde haired, blue eyed Jesus save them because they were preserving the sanctity of life, family values and worship of Sarah Palin?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
But...wouldn't blonde haired, blue eyed Jesus save them because they were preserving the sanctity of life, family values and worship of Sarah Palin?

Well he didn't save idiots from posting, so you have that going for you.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/12/AR2010041204107.html

LOL, this is happens when you put fairytales above reality, especially in business. If this failed in the bible belt, I can only imagine how well this concept would've worked elsewhere. Someone totally needs to convince Tim Tebow to sink a bunch of money into a similar business venture.

Did you even read the article? Or did you just see Pro-life ...fail ...Christian and start drooling?

"Unfortunately, the location was within walking distance of at least one other drugstore and across the street from a Kmart with a pharmacy.
It makes little sense to make another stop to fill a prescription across the street for moral reasons, especially considering that Kmart is probably a regular shopping place for even the most devout Christians. I mean, where else can you get a $14.99 cubic zirconia cross, a $1.49 Blessed Mother candle, lawn fertilizer for that lawn your lovely offspring will play on and a crockpot for the church cook-off under one roof?

A half-dozen similar pharmacies in such places as Louisiana, Florida and Indiana are faring just fine, said Karen Brauer, president of Pharmacist for Life International, a coalition of pharmacists who also have moral issues with the full array of services that their profession entails."

Last edited:

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Take a day-off for the Mod-callout. You've been around long enough to know better.

Fern
Super Moderator

Well he didn't save idiots from posting, so you have that going for you.

Oh Mr Moderator - I'm so awed by your power, I bow down to your personal attack. You have thoroughly impressed us with insightful and witty response - you sure you aren't Jesus? Or like the zealots say - Jesus is in all of us, so maybe he's in you too? (hopefully he bought some rubbers at a non pro-life pharma)

Last edited by a moderator:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I'm not surprised that these kinds of pharmacies do well in backwater dumps like Louisiana.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Oh Mr Moderator - I'm so awed by your power, I bow down to your personal attack. You have thoroughly impressed us with insightful and witty response - you sure you aren't Jesus? Or like the zealots say - Jesus is in all of us, so maybe he's in you too? (hopefully he bought some rubbers at a non pro-life pharma)
Yes I am a moderator. Admin actually.

Now that that's been established, I'm posting as a member. As has been pointed out there is a lot of competition in the area and they elected to remove many of the highest profit items. Consequently that sunk the business.

Remember, Jesus loves you. Me? Not really.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Remember, Jesus loves you. Me? Not really.

lol, if you claim to be a believer then you're not following the Bible very well based on that statement.

back to the OP, I read the article and sounds like the Pharmy was started at the wrong place, wrong time. It states that other similar stores in other states and areas are doing ok..

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
lol, if you claim to be a believer then you're not following the Bible very well based on that statement.

back to the OP, I read the article and sounds like the Pharmy was started at the wrong place, wrong time. It states that other similar stores in other states and areas are doing ok..

I allow for the beliefs of others. I am not obliged to believe in any particular thing.

Did you notice something interesting you mentioned? This is billed as "Pro-Life pharmacy fails miserably", however from what you say it could be stated as "Pro-Life pharmacies do well" in the news story. Objectively if many do well and few fail, then that would be accurate.

It all depends on the bias of those telling the story. As far as I'm concerned they could have a giant elephant phallus on their sidewalk. I really don't care either way. I just get a kick out of how things are spun.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Not selling condoms. What a great way to prevent abortions! Pro-life indeed :rolleyes:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This should have been a raving success. After all, they owners obviously weren't selfish evil profit-seeking leeches. I think they deserve a subsidy for their virtuous business practices.
You think that's funny - 'til it happens!

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Was being saved by a blond, blue eyed Jesus part of their business plan?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The reason it failed is because it eliminated virtually every profitable item. Cigarettes, cosmetics etc.

If they had not carried a few items it wouldn't have hurt them, but they went out of their way not to make a profit.

Some say that virtue is its own reward while others laugh it's its only reward.

I say the confusion arises because almost nobody knows what virtue is.

Now on a completely different theme, this pharmacy would have a chance in a country that bans cigarettes and cosmetics like Belgium bans arsenic and the Burka.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I was once involved in a small pharmacy. The owner hated to sell cigarettes but had to in order to make a living. From what I saw I bet a third or more of convenience stores and/or pharmacies would have to close their doors without cigarette sales. Sad but true.

OTOH, there are plenty of mutual funds guided by ethical decisions that do just fine. You have to understand your market and have viable alternatives to the aspects of the business distasteful to your ethical code.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The real problem with these people isn't that they wanted to open a pro-life pharmacy, it's that if they had their way none of us would be able to buy condoms or birth control pills. Thankfully they are and always will be a fringe minority.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
OTOH, there are plenty of mutual funds guided by ethical decisions that do just fine. You have to understand your market and have viable alternatives to the aspects of the business distasteful to your ethical code.

I fail to see what's unethical about selling cigarettes. People have a right to their vices, and I fail to see how being a busybody who tells others who to live is either ethical or moral.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Now on a completely different theme, this pharmacy would have a chance in a country that bans cigarettes and cosmetics like Belgium bans arsenic and the Burka.

Or, as the article itself states, right here in America if it had not been built between two already existing pharmacies that sold high profit items :rolleyes: