Priority & VLAN, Flow Control

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gpse, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gpse

gpse Senior member

Hey everyone, I have two questions about setting up my onboard Marvell Yukon ethernet card. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 and a Netgeat WGR614 router, I'm confused with these two settings:
    Priority & VLAN
    Flow Control

currently Priority & VLAN are both enabled, and Flow Control is set to TX and RX enabled.

What do these settings control and should I disable them?

thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Priority VLAN Flow Forum Date
    Connecting 1 Router with 2 x 48 ports switches for 60 x VLANs Networking Saturday at 7:53 PM
    QoS to give VPN priority Networking Oct 22, 2012
    2 different devices need priority for one Networking Sep 19, 2012
    Setting Connection Priority Networking Apr 15, 2010
    Set network priority Networking Apr 5, 2010

3. Kakumba

Kakumba Senior member

Well, the theory of "If you don't know what it does, don't touch it" could easily apply here. Do things work as they are? if yes, don't touch. To be honest though, I also don't know what those are exactly doing.

4. multiband8303

multiband8303 Senior member

...VLANS are ways to segment different parts of your network (Not going to go into great detail here) think of it like subnetting.

Trust me, you have no use for VLANs, I highly doubt collisions are problematic in your home network.

As for everything else, leave it the hell alone.

5. gpse

gpse Senior member

cool thanks for the replies, I only asked cause ever since I got these new mobo I have noticed slow speeds so I thought I didn't have a setting right.

6. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Well if you really want to know:

Priority - enables 802.1p marking of frames for Class of Service, doesn't mean anything in a home environment
    VLAN - enables 802.1q tagging so frames have a header identifying what VLAN they belong to, doesn't mean anything in a home environment.

Leave this disabled unless there is a very specific reason to mess with them.

The flow control is a mechanism to prevent buffer overflow with gig ethernet, leave it to auto or enabled. It must match what your switch supports. In other words, leave this stuff to default.

7. gpse

gpse Senior member

thanks for the explanation!

8. GoHighVoltage

GoHighVoltage Junior Member

Hey, I have a recent story about my ethernet card having the Priority and VLan Enabled!

I have a home network. Two wired computers, and two wired network printers plus a VOIP box. I have a linksys router, but it only had 4 ports, so I went and bought a unmanaged 8 port switch. Ran the switch right to my router, and then plugged my two computers, and two network printers and VOIP box into the switch.

Then something odd happened. The one computer could print to both printers, but the other computer would not print to any of the printers, and wouldn't even see them!!!!

It drove me nuts for hours. I even called Linksys and they had no idea either.

So for some reason as a last resort, I went into the ethernet card settings and changed the Priority & VLAN Enabled, to just Priority Enabled. PRESTO!!! Everything started working again. The second computer could not see both printers and print just fine!

What makes the story even more weird is, that my computer that printed fine, had VLAN and PRIORITY ENABLED TOO BUT WORKED!!! So as a precaution I set it to Priority Enabled only.

Any logical answers to that scenario?

:p