Printing stopped working rastertogutenprint.5.2 not available

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I get this error on the printer so when I try to print it goes nowhere. Is there a way to fix this? I tried rebooting but no luck. No idea what else to even try. I don't really print that often but I know it worked before.

Not sure what this rastertogutenprint.5.2 file is but I'm assuming that's the driver and for some reason it must have got moved by an update or something. Now do I tell it to go to the new one? When I login to the cups web interface I can't do anything. Probably since I'm not authenticated, but I don't see a place to login. Everything just says "not found" when I click on a link.

OS is Linux Mint 18. This might help:

Code:
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18
DISTRIB_CODENAME=sarah
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18 Sarah"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="18 (Sarah)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 18"
VERSION_ID="18"
HOME_URL="http://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
cat: /etc/upstream-release: Is a directory

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol now I really got it dickered. I went in the GUI and removed the printer hoping there was a way to detect printers but there's not. The only way to add a printer is if you know the URI. Hell if I know. lol. Been meaning to figure out how to setup a proper print server so I don't have to dick with this stuff at the local machine level, might just have to do that.

EDIT: I ran updates since figured that's the first thing to try and it had been a while. Now it also broke NFS.

I get this trying to mount all my shares:

Code:
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server 'isengard.loc:/volumes/raid3/userdata/' failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive

Not finding much on Google, everything I find is telling me to make sure the server is running which I know it is, because the shares work on all the other servers.

Thinking I'm due for a reformat at this point but hoping I don't have to go through that trouble. Any way to fix these two issues? It sounds like my system is badly messed up though.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So if I do

mount /sharepath/

It mounts. It seems that mount -a, or startup, is where it fails. So I'll just add those mount commands in my startup script I guess. No clue why it would do this.

Now back to the printer issue, I have no clue where to even start. Really not finding anything useful on Google. I found something about looking for a path that got replaced by a folder by some buggy update, but that path does not exist on my system, as is tradition. Every single time I google something and it talks about a path it never exists.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ok so printer issue is fixed.

Had to install the package printer-driver-gutenprint

That fixed all the CUPS issues, and also let me add the printer quite easily and it works now.