Printer and workgroup don't work

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
All my computers are connected to one workgroup. The printer is connected to the laptop only when it is needed.

I tried adding the printer through the add a printer wizard, but the wizard cannot locate the printer. I've tried the add a printer wizard a number of times.

Also, I don't think the workgroup is working properly. Before, I was able to go to My Network Place and copy all these files via my network, but now it only works once in a while.

Are there any ways to fix this? I'm sorry if I'm confusing you guys.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Yes.

Also, the weird thing I found out about the workgroup is that currently the laptop can see my desktop but it can't see my parent's desktop. My desktop can see my parent's desktop but it can't see the laptop. My parent's desktop can see my desktop but it can't see the laptop. They are all connected to the same workgroup.

Wik

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2000
Can you ping each computer from the other?

Also, use the run menu and type \\compuer name or ip

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: geokilla
Yes.

Also, the weird thing I found out about the workgroup is that currently the laptop can see my desktop but it can't see my parent's desktop. My desktop can see my parent's desktop but it can't see the laptop. My parent's desktop can see my desktop but it can't see the laptop. They are all connected to the same workgroup.

Network browsing required the sacrifice of a virgin prior to working....have you done that yet?

If not (and if one is not handy) then I would use the \\ip\ method to connect and use shared resources.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I did the Run (ip name) thing suggested by Wik. All three computers can connect to each other with no problems.

@nmweaver. The files and folders and hard drive are shared.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: geokilla
I did the Run (ip name) thing suggested by Wik. All three computers can connect to each other with no problems.

@nmweaver. The files and folders and hard drive are shared.

bud did you sacrifice a virgin?

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
umm....What do you mean by that. By right clicking on the folder/file and clicking on Sharing and Security then Share this folder on the network? If that's that you mean than yes.

Also, I got my desktop to print over the network now. I tried another way of connecting my computer to the printer, and it worked. Weird.