PrimeGrid Ides of March challenge Mar 15

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Welcome to the PrimeGrid Ides of March challenge. It's a short challenge, but beware complacency - I believe this is the most important challenge of the year!

What you need:

What would help, but isn't absolutely necessary:
  • A 64-bit OS on a 64-bit processor will run 70% faster than a 32-bit OS.

What won't help (but won't hurt either):
  • A large amount of RAM.
  • Any video cards.

If you're running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor, there are three ways you can run a 64-bit OS for this challenge.
  1. Install a 64-bit OS as your primary OS.
  2. Install a 64-bit OS as a secondary OS. Wubi is the easiest way to install 64-bit Ubuntu Linux alongside 32-bit Windows.
  3. Install a 64-bit OS on a virtual machine in VMWare. This may not work, depending on your processor, and even if it does work it may be slower than the other two methods. However, it's less intrusive than the other two methods.

This challenge starts on the Ides of March, March 15, and runs for only 24 hours. Should you not be able to be in front of one or more computers at that time, just set their queue level to zero (0) days. Network connection time options may also be useful - though they depend on your computer's clock being correct, so set the start time a few minutes late.

If you can be in front of your computer part of that time, you can increase the queue level once the race starts, but if you cannot flush your results at the end, please make sure that once your queue level is set to zero days, your queue will run out of work before the end of the race.

The project for this challenge is the Prime Sierpinski Project/Seventeen or Bust sieve. This is the same kind of race we did in November of last year. This application sieves (looks for prime factors more quickly than a standard LLR test can find them) for both the Seventeen or Bust project and for its sister search, the Prime Sierpinski Problem. (The Seventeen or Bust client only performs LLR tests; by participating in this challenge you'll help avoid pointless LLR tests over there, too.)

I'm posting this a little early to give people a place to talk about this specific race, outside the strategy thread.

Welcome and good luck to all!

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
It looks likely that you have to post on this thread to be able to get these WUs : http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=973#21474

That's not the right app. "Check" PSP/SoB (Sieve) in your PrimeGrid preferences and make sure all the other apps are "unchecked".

prime_grid.png

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
That's not the right app. "Check" PSP/SoB (Sieve) in your PrimeGrid preferences and make sure all the other apps are "unchecked".

prime_grid.png

Thanks, Biodoc! I think I'll rearrange that image and use it in future races too. :)

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
^^^ Pre-weekend bump!

Also, I've recently been reminded that daylight savings time starts this weekend (in the USA). So I think that means the race starts and ends an hour later here. If you've already set an at job to flush, make sure it's at the right time!

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Welcome! 32-bit OSes are certainly better than nothing. :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I am in! :)
Started already. Will flush the buffer March 15, 18:01 UTC ... ;)
This is also a TAS-race - so please, TAS-members, join!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I am in! :)
Started already. Will flush the buffer March 15, 18:01 UTC ... ;)
This is also a TAS-race - so please, TAS-members, join!

I don't think flushing WUs completed before the start of the race will count.?

scoring information

"Scores will be kept for individuals and teams. Only work units issued AFTER 15 March 2010 18:00 UTC and received BEFORE 16 March 2010 18:00 UTC will be considered for credit. Since this is a fixed credit project, we'll be using cobblestones for scoring."

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I don't think flushing WUs completed before the start of the race will count.?

scoring information

"Scores will be kept for individuals and teams. Only work units issued AFTER 15 March 2010 18:00 UTC and received BEFORE 16 March 2010 18:00 UTC will be considered for credit. Since this is a fixed credit project, we'll be using cobblestones for scoring."

I know it won't. But I have to upload the new ones and then crunch them won't I? That dance is called "Prepareing the cruncher for the raceing WUs". Later - just before the end of the race I'll flush all the crunched WUs to the server to the tune of "Let us deliver the bread on time". ;)

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Ken, have you resolved the issues you were having with ubuntu throttling your overclocked cpus? I wonder if this is happening to my i5 661. During the edges challenge my pII 945 was about equal to my i5 and since I have further over clocked my i5 but it is now producing lower rack the my slower AII x3 435!

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Here's the advice from John@PrimeGrid:
1. In Ubuntu, right click the top menu bar
2. Select add to panel
3. Select "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor"
4. Click add

This will add a processor icon to the top menu. Click on the icon and set to "Performance". This also allows you to see the CPU frequency.
My problem was that this didn't stick the first time, but going through the cores and doing it again, it stuck.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Here's the advice from John@PrimeGrid:
My problem was that this didn't stick the first time, but going through the cores and doing it again, it stuck.

Interesting it shows the stock frequency for me and not the overclocked frequency...I wonder if this is accurate.

Edit: I did a manual overclock instead of the biostar engine overclock at a diff frequency and it still shows stock. Too bad the WU are different and have different completion times so its hard to tell from that.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Yeah, I've had a heck of a time verifying that I'm overclocked for some frequencies. Bumping the FSB from 333 to 400 on my Q9400, with the multiplier the same, works perfectly; but in most other cases I can't get Linux to show the correct frequency. I just believe what the BIOS says at boot and set the cores to Performance twice.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
Additionally, If you are using vmware player to run ubuntu the cpu scaling monitor gives an error message which I suppose is not surprising since it is a virtual os.

Edit: It apears that older cpus dont support this possibly and may not be the virtual os. my celeron e1400 and BE-2400 athlon both dont support this scaling function with the cele being in a normal ubuntu boot setup.

On the rigs where this function is not supported the correct overclocked frequency does appear which is troubling for my i5 setup still only showing 3.33 an my x3 345 only showing 2.9 .

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I think the following only gives a correct overclocked cpu frequency if the FSB multiplier is set at "stock" (8.5 on my Q9550).

cat /proc/cpuinfo gives me my correct cpu frequncy:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 3400.000
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0