Prime95 stops-No error reported

mishamag

Jan 18, 2007
HEEEELP! I've tried everything

Loaded up my system and started some gradual overclocking and everything seemed fine until I run Prime95.

I'm running 2 instances of it and it seems ok for a minute or two. One core looks to be running at 100% the other at 50%. Is that normal or should they both be at 100%? Anyway on one instance i get to Test 4 while the other one is still at Test1 and that's it. No errors. They still seem to be running, but make no progrss beyond those tests. CPU usage has dropped to minimal levels. The system is very laggy if I try and do something else on it as if Prime95 is still going full bore.

I dropped all BIOS settings back to their default levels and that hasn't helped. I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks

My new system:

E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
XFX GeForce7950
2x Seagate 320GB SATAII
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Antec P180
WinXP SP2 Pro

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
When running Prime95 on dual core box, you must run TWO instances of Prime95 and set the CPU Affinity for each one. Once instance of P95 on Core 0, the other on Core 1.

I don't have P95 in front of me ATM, but I believe the setting is under Options.

Here's what I do.

After you install P95, you have a folder with the application and it's files inside. Copy that folder and name it Prime95-2 or whatever. Open the first instance of P95. Set the affinity to CPU-0. Open the second instance of P95. Set it's affinity to CPU1.

Now you have to run BOTH of them at the same time to benchmark/test BOTH cores of your CPU.

Start the first on, small/large/whatever FFTs. STart the second one, same thing.

Hope that helps. :)

mishamag

Jan 18, 2007
That's how I've had Prime95 running. With the affinity set for Core0 in one instance and Core1 in the second instance. No luck :(

mishamag

Jan 18, 2007
On further investigation I've found that when I run 1 instance on Core1 Prime95 will continue to run with 100% usage of of Core1 and 50% usage of Core0. These figures are determined from the Asus Ai suite. If I look at the numbers from Task Manager (Performance) they are Core1 100% and Core0 around 0-1%.

When I run 1 instance on Cor0 usage on Core0 is about 50% and Core1 usage hover around 1% according to Asus Ai suite. Looking at Task Manager the numbers are Core0 100% and Core1 0-1%. This is confusing me. Why would Ai Suite show a different figure than the usage figure from Task Manager.?

FWIW the tests seem to continue without error when I run just one instance.

HELPPPPPPP!

mishamag

Jan 18, 2007
Hi thanks for the help.

Orthos runs fine. Both cores going 100% on both Ai Suite and Task Manager.

I'm still concerned as to the reason why my attempts with Prime95 gave me such problems. Should this be a concern.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Originally posted by: mishamag
Hi thanks for the help.

Orthos runs fine. Both cores going 100% on both Ai Suite and Task Manager.

I'm still concerned as to the reason why my attempts with Prime95 gave me such problems. Should this be a concern.
Orthos uses the same source code for doing the calculations, but with built in support for dual core CPUs. I'd say that your problem looks to have been caused by your two instances of Prime95 not getting along. If Orthos and any apps you run work, you really shouldn't put any more thought into the Prime95 problem.

mishamag

Jan 18, 2007
Okay, thanks for the help

Originally posted by: Brunnis
Orthos uses the same source code for doing the calculations, but with built in support for dual core CPUs. I'd say that your problem looks to have been caused by your two instances of Prime95 not getting along. If Orthos and any apps you run work, you really shouldn't put any more thought into the Prime95 problem.[/quote]

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
agreed. dual prime or dual sp2004 will do strange things especially with blend test.

what i found is that one instance will suck up all the ram resource and cause the other one to get stuck at the first iteration.

so yes, orthos is good stuff! :) stick to it.