Prime95 Reboot??

Jray

Nov 3, 2003
Hi all,
I'm doing my first experimentation with overclocking. My system specs quickly:

Athlon 2100+
512mb Crucial PC2700 RAM (2x256)
Epox EP-8RDA+

So far I don't seem to be doing so good. Last night I ran Prime95 before going to bed and when I checked the PC after I woke up it had rebooted. Is this strange? I've already run a few tests at different speeds and gotten errors so I scaled back a bit. But I wouldn't think it would be normal for the computer to reboot itself.

Just to make sure of a couple things - since my RAM is actually 333MHz, it wouldn't be considered oc'ing it to run at 166MHz, correct? Right now I'm only up to about 145MHz and it seems unstable (at least under Prime95). I even "relaxed" the timings down to 7-3-3-2.5.

Thanks!

zShowtimez

Nov 20, 2001
Your RAM should be fine. I belvie your problem lies in the procssor. Is it a pally or tbred?

Jray

Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by: zShowtimez
Your RAM should be fine. I belvie your problem lies in the procssor. Is it a pally or tbred?

It's a Thoroughbred Rev B (which I think is the important information). I checked with CPU-Z.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Jray, you and I have similar setups. Your problem could lie in a number of factors...

What kind of power supply are you using? I went from a generic POS power supply to a ThermalTake 420W power supply, and it appears to have fixed my own "reboot" problem in Prime95 at a speed of 13x166MHz (2158 MHz)

I have an Athlon 2100+ (Rev. B)
512MB Crucial PC-2700
MSI K7N2 mobo

If you can, maybe try lowering your multiplier in your BIOS. Unfortunately, my motherboard (crap) can't unlock my Athlon's multiplier unless I do a ghetto "wire-trick" where 2 pins on the chip are jumped together. 13x166 is a moderately high overclock. Your RAM should be able to do 166MHz no problem...but maybe not with a multiplier of 13.

Also, you might need to bump up your voltage to your Athlon. I've had mine at 1.775 volts for a few months now no problem. If I can help anymore PM me or post back, and I'm sure maybe more experienced members of this forum might have more insight to your problem than me.

Jray

Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by: kyparrish
Jray, you and I have similar setups. Your problem could lie in a number of factors...

What kind of power supply are you using?
It's an Allied 400W, which I guess qualifies it as a generic POS. It was fairly cheap with my case when I bought it (deal from newegg). I've been thinking about upgrading to an Antec that everyone raves about.

I went from a generic POS power supply to a ThermalTake 420W power supply, and it appears to have fixed my own "reboot" problem in Prime95 at a speed of 13x166MHz (2158 MHz)

I have an Athlon 2100+ (Rev. B)
512MB Crucial PC-2700
MSI K7N2 mobo

If you can, maybe try lowering your multiplier in your BIOS. Unfortunately, my motherboard (crap) can't unlock my Athlon's multiplier unless I do a ghetto "wire-trick" where 2 pins on the chip are jumped together. 13x166 is a moderately high overclock. Your RAM should be able to do 166MHz no problem...but maybe not with a multiplier of 13.

Also, you might need to bump up your voltage to your Athlon. I've had mine at 1.775 volts for a few months now no problem. If I can help anymore PM me or post back, and I'm sure maybe more experienced members of this forum might have more insight to your problem than me.

Thanks for the help and offer. I almost bought that mobo - then we would've had the exact same setup :). I may try lowering the multiplier next, like you mentioned, as I raise the FSB. It seems to be OK right now at 13x141 for 1833MHz, but I want more! :)

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Yeah, my original PS was an "Xtreme" brand 400W...what a joke. I guess any name brand PS such as Antec, Enermax, etc. will help the situation.

Have you tried upping the voltage to your processor yet? These chips need to be bumped up from the stock 1.6 volts in order to really start to shine. My Athlon loves 1.775 volts when running at 13 x 166