Prime95 not using full processor speed on i5 2500k? Extreme3 gen3 owners help!

Papa Hogan

Feb 1, 2011
Motherboard: Asrock extreme 3 gen 3

I'm really having trouble figuring out why the stress tests that I'm trying to do aren't using the full 4.8 ghz. It maxes out at 3.7 ghz even though the multiplier is set at 48x. Is something disabled in bios or what?

Please heeeeeeelp!

I just disabled "enhanced halt state c1e" and "cpu c3 state support" as well as "cpu c6 state support". Still it pegs at 3.7 ghz or so. I'm using cpu-z and Intel turbo boost technology monitor to check speed. Should I update the bios? I read that it might help.

Last edited:

computerbuildin

Nov 23, 2011
Oh, look at that. Yeah do what this guy says ^ :p If you can find the settings for the same wattage settings in my thread try to up those a little bit.

Papa Hogan

Feb 1, 2011
Ok. So when I play battlefield 3, the speed monitors show 4.8ghz. Interesting...
I downclocked to 4ghz and changed the settings back that you told me to.

Here are the bios settings that seem related to processor voltage:

internal pll voltage: disabled
speedstep: enabled
turbo boost power limit: auto
additional turbo voltage: +.102v (won't boot to windows without the boost)
core current limit: 150 (default)
cpu core voltage: 1.336v offset mode +.05v
cpu load line calibration: auto (level 5)
pch voltage: auto (1.059v)
cpu pll voltage: auto (1.832v)
vtt voltage: auto (1.047v)
vccsa voltage: auto (.925v)
cpu thermal throttling: disabled

Which ones should I leave and what should I change? Also, are any of these voltages too high? The last thing I need is a burned up processor.

Thanks, guys, for your help :biggrin:

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
internal pll voltage: disabled
speedstep: enabled
turbo boost power limit: auto
additional turbo voltage: +.102v Seriously?
core current limit: 150 (default) I dunno what you are doing, set to to Auto/Max
cpu core voltage: 1.336v offset mode +.05v Raise this by that 0.102v (+0.155) from Turbo boost, set Turbo Boost to +0.004
cpu load line calibration: auto (level 5) Depends on the board, depends on offset, could be changed, *may* help.
pch voltage: auto (1.059v)
cpu pll voltage: auto (1.832v) Could be lowered, fine where it is.
vtt voltage: auto (1.047v)
vccsa voltage: auto (.925v)
cpu thermal throttling: disabled Don't disable that,, unless you have some really weird glitch with your motherboard.

You probably won't be able to duplicate these settings exactly on your board, but here is an example of my settings:
kQEFkoq.png

Other than multiplier and offset, those work anywhere from 1.6GHz to 4.8GHz. (Z77 Ext4, 3570K)

Last edited: