Pricing on used Xbox One S consoles is still above US$200.

Nov 20, 2009
I was entertaining the idea of replacing my Amazon FireTV Stick with a used Xbox One S console with a Blu-ray drive and to my shock the prices at Gamestop, Amazon, etc., for used units is still +US$200. With the impending release of the next generation units I was a bit shocked that volume inventory holders with mucho used stock would have tried to dump them cheaply but I guess they still see the gold in there somewhere. I had thought I could get a used S+BD console for $150 or less but that was dashed.

BTW, without being down in my basement and trying, were the Xbox 360 controllers simple wireless (e.g. 2.4 GHz) or were they actually Bluetooth?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Xbox 360 and the original Xbox One controllers use a proprietary wireless protocol. (I think it's based on 2.4GHz though.) The newer Xbox One controllers also use Bluetooth. This is why you can only use the aforementioned older controllers with the console or specific wireless dongles. (I've got a 360 and One wireless dongle hooked up to a single PC.)

Nov 20, 2009
Seems used pricing is more like $250 even though you can still but the S new for $300. And some people (idiots) are eBay shopping at >>$300 for the S model.

Reactions: JPB

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I suspect that used pricing will stay at this level until there is a ready stock of next gen units available. Once that happens the prices should drop. December or early next year depending on how much stock of Series S exists.

This is total speculation on my part, so might not happen.

Reactions: killster1

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I've been waiting as long as possible to pick up an Xbox One S. But it will only be for a select few of games, of which makes the purchase worth it to me at least. Anyway...Before id pay $200 for used..id just pay the $300 for a new one so I know where its been. Other than that, it will be the only 4K player I use.

I do have a question though. Is the 4K playback on the Xbox S identical to the Xbox X ?

EDIT: I should clarify, while I do have a 4K TV...the One S will only be used for "movies" and the like in 4K. Basically, I don't care if it plays games in 4K.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I do have a question though. Is the 4K playback on the Xbox S identical to the Xbox X ?

EDIT: I should clarify, while I do have a 4K TV...the One S will only be used for "movies" and the like in 4K. Basically, I don't care if it plays games in 4K.

Yes. However, I'm not a fan of using the One S as a UHD player because it's too loud. As we saw in Sony's recent PS5 teardown, trying to noise-isolate your disc drive is a big deal given how fast those UHD discs spin.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Yes. However, I'm not a fan of using the One S as a UHD player because it's too loud. As we saw in Sony's recent PS5 teardown, trying to noise-isolate your disc drive is a big deal given how fast those UHD discs spin.
Thanks. There will be games played on the console. Mostly be Gears / Halo type games. Other than that....only movies and 4K content. And nah, noise don't bother me, it never has. My consoles are far enough away where I don't have to worry about noise.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Thanks. There will be games played on the console. Mostly be Gears / Halo type games. Other than that....only movies and 4K content. And nah, noise don't bother me, it never has. My consoles are far enough away where I don't have to worry about noise.

I don't know if it's worth noting, but while the Xbox One S/X both support Dolby Vision in streamed content, they do not support it during UHD playback.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wow! That's crazy. Last BF I payed $160 at Amazon for a new Xbox One S 1TB Console w/ Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Bundled. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YD67145/

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: $199.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Your Coupon Savings: -$39.01
Total before tax: $159.99
Estimated tax to be collected: $11.20
Grand Total: $171.19

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Wow! That's crazy. Last BF I payed $160 at Amazon for a new Xbox One S 1TB Console w/ Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Bundled. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YD67145/

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: $199.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Your Coupon Savings: -$39.01
Total before tax: $159.99
Estimated tax to be collected: $11.20
Grand Total: $171.19

Same and I got 5% cash back on it for using my Amazon Prime Visa. Also sold Fallen Order code to make it about $150 out of pocket once it was all said and done. Great streaming box, UHD player, and most of my XBox 360 library ported over to it, to the point I recently sold the two XBox 360 systems I had in favor of a recent addition of an XBox One X. The only game which won't play is Raiden Fighter Aces due to lack of backwards compatibility.

Reactions: balloonshark