Prices Set For New HealthCare Law: Another Pyramid Scheme?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Not sure what you're talking about. Link?

Waaayyyy back when Ron R. was President we had something called leveraged buyouts. What happened was that companies or individuals were allowed to use pension plan funds (which was the major retirement funding mechanism at the time) to take over businesses. In the case of my father he worked for a business with about a hundred or so employees for not quite 35 years and paid into the fund. Someone who made a living out of doing this came in and bought the business, took out all the funds and caused plant to go bankrupt, but the money was his. Rinse, repeat.

Congress attempted to prevent this, but Ron either vetoed or promised to veto any such legislation so as not to interfere in the free market. Suddenly at least two generations lost their retirement as a result, and my father died in debt as a result with his only means of support SS. Imagine you had a 401K and whatever other investments for retirement suddenly taken from you along with hundreds of thousands or more people in the same situation. Someone comes along and cut that too although you had to contribute to that as well.

Yet we hear about the old people who didn't plan for retirement. See any irony there?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
dont forget the wedding tax. and the stupid tax clif's this creates. making 1 more dollar in income might cost you thousands in taxes.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-wedding-tax/

MarriedNoKidsAge60OcareGraph0913.png

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Waaayyyy back when Ron R. was President we had something called leveraged buyouts. What happened was that companies or individuals were allowed to use pension plan funds (which was the major retirement funding mechanism at the time) to take over businesses. In the case of my father he worked for a business with about a hundred or so employees for not quite 35 years and paid into the fund. Someone who made a living out of doing this came in and bought the business, took out all the funds and caused plant to go bankrupt, but the money was his. Rinse, repeat.

Congress attempted to prevent this, but Ron either vetoed or promised to veto any such legislation so as not to interfere in the free market. Suddenly at least two generations lost their retirement as a result, and my father died in debt as a result with his only means of support SS. Imagine you had a 401K and whatever other investments for retirement suddenly taken from you along with hundreds of thousands or more people in the same situation. Someone comes along and cut that too although you had to contribute to that as well.

Yet we hear about the old people who didn't plan for retirement. See any irony there?

JFC, I believe that because of your posting history here.

But seriously, that is so bad I nearly convulsed.

The method of the guy who scammed your dads company, that's the impression I get from some conservatives regarding the mentality on capitalism and all it's "graces". Problem is through government and the bunker of political ideology it spreads through division; both RandD have done and been cheered on while doing worse.

Wonder if the guy who robbed your dad was named Mitt Romney.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

This was still going on in the late nineties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/10/business/shriveling-of-pensions-after-halliburton-deal.html

In June, puzzling letters began appearing in the mailboxes of hundreds of employees of the Dresser-Rand Company, saying that they had become eligible for retirement benefits even though they were still working.To request their money, they were told to call the Halliburton Company, which acquired Dresser-Rand in 1998.
Over the summer, many of the employees had done so and concluded that what the letters portrayed as an early payment of benefits was actually a reduction, brought on by the Halliburton merger and a spinoff less than two years later. Halliburton has given the workers 90 days, which ends later this month, to sign up for a much smaller payment than promised earlier, or forfeit their right to a lump sum forever.
In addition to the current employees who got those notices, some recent retirees received letters saying that they had been paid too much and should return thousands of dollars in pension money to Halliburton. After comparing notes, a few of the employees and retirees have estimated that the group is being stripped of $25 million in benefits, reflecting roughly $50,000 on average for about 400 people.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
What do the health plans that cover congress, president, and other federal employees look like?

How much do they pay and what is covered?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999

That is horrible. At that age, straight up, I'd find the guy, and kill him. Maybe after I tortured him for a while. What a complete POS parasite.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Wait until the younger crowd doesnt pay at all and ops to not get insurance and instead pays the penalty.

A good portion of the so-called younger crowd make way too much money to want to opt for paying the penalty. Plus being without insurance when and if you need it is not an acceptable option. There still may be a good number of low wage workers who won't be able to afford the insurance even with the cost assistance that my be available to them. We'll see how well all this works soon enough.