Price cuts for AMD 7XXX cards? Not yet.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
What would the price/perf of Kepler be, if Intel made it instead of TSMC? :)

Interesting question, It really does seem like nvidia's CEO tends to air his dirty laundry in public too much and burns way too many bridges as a result. He's badmouthed TSMC, intel (and had his day in court with them), I dunno. Anyone partnering with intel to develop chips is a win though, because intel is lightyears ahead of everyone practically, they're doing 22nm when nobody else is even thinking about it. And haswell is nearly done as well.

Last edited:

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
If Intel has to give up wafers that would be used for $100-$300 Core's or >$1000 Xeons I doubt it would be cheap.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Hey, if AMD thinks they can meet sales targets at those prices then more power to them. Personally, I would wait for a gtx 680 to come in if I didn't already have one. Ain'ts no way I'm paying more for less.

You are saying exactly what NV wants you to, and what was the intended purpose of the launch price setting. You are the controlled consumer.

NV have near to zero card to sell from a business perspective, and what do we expect them to price the cards to? - as it doesnt matter for profit if its low or high, ofcource you price them to hinder the competitors sales until you have availability yourself. You and i would do the same.

So when people say AMD should lower prices it the most stupid thing to say. Its like asking people to accept lower wages when they can get a higher one. If all was acting like that this place would be a poorer one.

So people have to select a different card be it 7970, 580, 7870 whatever, or wait. Regarding waiting is a bit of a laugh in my oppinion. You can always wait for the next cpu, gpu whatever. If you like waiting wait, if you dont, buy the stuff now, the small differences is not changing your life.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You are saying exactly what NV wants you to, and what was the intended purpose of the launch price setting. You are the controlled consumer.

NV have near to zero card to sell from a business perspective, and what do we expect them to price the cards to? - as it doesnt matter for profit if its low or high, ofcource you price them to hinder the competitors sales until you have availability yourself. You and i would do the same.

So when people say AMD should lower prices it the most stupid thing to say. Its like asking people to accept lower wages when they can get a higher one. If all was acting like that this place would be a poorer one.

So people have to select a different card be it 7970, 580, 7870 whatever, or wait. Regarding waiting is a bit of a laugh in my oppinion. You can always wait for the next cpu, gpu whatever. If you like waiting wait, if you dont, buy the stuff now, the small differences is not changing your life.

It is very possible that nVidia did exactly what you are saying (If I'm understanding you correctly?) and released the 680 at a lower price than the 7970 to slow the market bleeding. No cards for them to sell at the moment, but nobody is buying the 7970 either.

I think AMD has been charging a premium for being first to market. I can't believe they expected it to last forever. If they were to drop $50 across the board, introduce 1.5Gig models to slot in beneath the 3Gig models and they could restart the money machine. The only reason I can think of for them not to do this is if supply is really bad and they just don't have enough chips.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
NV have near to zero card to sell from a business perspective,

I know you have low availability in the US but in Europe GTX680 are in stock and funny as it may seams the HD7970 are cheaper in some e-tailers.

UK
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1914&subid=2255

Germany
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/PCI+Express+NVIDIA/GeForce+6xx.html

GTX680 around Europe
http://buy.fudzilla.com/753722

HD7970 around Europe
http://buy.fudzilla.com/?fs=hd7970&in=

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012

Please. You act as if its impossible to get a gtx 680. And unless you have a source at nvidia please don't presume to know how many were available at launch. The gtx 580 sold out shortly after launch as well. I guess nvidia didn't have any of those to sell either. So if nvidia releases a flagship gpu(gtx 580) before the competition they are only doing it to hurt Amd sales. If they release their flagship gpu(gtx 680) after AMD its only to hurt Amd sales. Maybe nvidia never has any high end gpus to sell then and is only in the gpu business to hurt Amd. This is despite the fact that I had the time to place orders for as many of them as I wanted on launch day before they sold out. I could have gotten 50+ of them from various etailers if I wanted.

Hell I waited 3 hours AFTER Amazon said they were sold out so I could backorder mine and have time to decide if I really wanted it. To my surprise Amazon still had enough stock to shipped me one the next day so I just decided to keep it. They were still available the next day or two after launch at $520 to $530 shipped from smaller etailers like Directron or Sabrepc which still undercut the 7970 price. Anyone who wanted one had ample opportunity to get one if they tried.

Anyone can still place an order at tigerdirect to be delivered in a week or two. And if I didn't have one? Yeah I would still wait. Why? 1. The wait doesn't seem that long. 2. I would already have a gpu in my desktop. A $500 gpu is hardly a critical component. Being able to play at a higher frame rate or with graphic settings turned up is not exactly a pressing concern. Its $500 luxury item/toy. But I would have to be at a new level of stupid or impatience to pay a 10% markup for a slower more power hungry gpu for what? So that I can have it a week or two sooner? Sometimes I don't even play a game for a week or two. Controlled consumer? Hardly, I'm a savvy consumer that thinks ahead and usually get what I want because of it.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

That's silly and we all know it, waiting for a next product release is entirely different than waiting for a released product to get more inventory.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
if your gonna sell a $550 video card with crappy ass drivers and slower performance.

What exactly have these crappy ass drivers been doing? Frying your video card? Causing system crashes? Single digit fps in a game where it should be 50+? Desktop lag and slowdown to the point where it might as well be crashed?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-pulls-196-75-driver-amid-reports-its-frying-graphics-car/

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Drivers+Caused+Lions+Share+of+Early+Vista+Crashes/article11261.htm

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194951

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206411

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Thats your main problem. There is no reason to even consider being brand loyal to any company

That is a really silly statement. The quality of manufacture and customer service are reasons why people are brand loyal.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Please. You act as if its impossible to get a gtx 680. And unless you have a source at nvidia please don't presume to know how many were available at launch. The gtx 580 sold out shortly after launch as well. I guess nvidia didn't have any of those to sell either. So if nvidia releases a flagship gpu(gtx 580) before the competition they are only doing it to hurt Amd sales. If they release their flagship gpu(gtx 680) after AMD its only to hurt Amd sales. Maybe nvidia never has any high end gpus to sell then and is only in the gpu business to hurt Amd. This is despite the fact that I had the time to place orders for as many of them as I wanted on launch day before they sold out. I could have gotten 50+ of them from various etailers if I wanted.

Hell I waited 3 hours AFTER Amazon said they were sold out so I could backorder mine and have time to decide if I really wanted it. To my surprise Amazon still had enough stock to shipped me one the next day so I just decided to keep it. They were still available the next day or two after launch at $520 to $530 shipped from smaller etailers like Directron or Sabrepc which still undercut the 7970 price. Anyone who wanted one had ample opportunity to get one if they tried.

Anyone can still place an order at tigerdirect to be delivered in a week or two. And if I didn't have one? Yeah I would still wait. Why? 1. The wait doesn't seem that long. 2. I would already have a gpu in my desktop. A $500 gpu is hardly a critical component. Being able to play at a higher frame rate or with graphic settings turned up is not exactly a pressing concern. Its $500 luxury item/toy. But I would have to be at a new level of stupid or impatience to pay a 10% markup for a slower more power hungry gpu for what? So that I can have it a week or two sooner? Sometimes I don't even play a game for a week or two. Controlled consumer? Hardly, I'm a savvy consumer that thinks ahead and usually get what I want because of it.

3 Hours?? - i know that is a long time when hitting the F5 happens multiple times each seconds - but its hardly moving cards big time :)

The situation now is both AMD and NV is supply constrained, Because everyone and his brother want 28nm for their next smartphone. NV clearly more than AMD, perhaps because they set the price to have the most attractive product.

When AMD and NV have excess cards they will lower prices, its that simple. Well do you expect NV to have solved the 28nm teething problems? According to charlie they have not, and we will have to wait for the next batch, and we are not talking 2 weeks. The sign that AMD have not lowered the prices seems to be a confirmation of that. Unfortunately.

28nm must cost an arm and an leg, and demand from "apple" and the likes will continue to be there so we will have to be patient for capacity and competion to build.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I got this feeling amd has this"you want it,bend on it we will show you" sorta attitude,at least fix your freaking drivers cause they are giving me a headache about now as a 7970 owner.

At least offer the common courtesy of a reach around if your gonna sell a $550 video card with crappy ass drivers and slower performance.

Before anyone gets on the bandwagon attacking me about driver support,my pc went into sleep mode and shut off my monitor when i shoved a common store bought dvd into my pc last night and hit the play button,i had to hard reboot my rig...never seen anything like it in my life.

This has been happening with the 680 as well.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Please. You act as if its impossible to get a gtx 680.
I've been checking newegg.ca about once or twice a day, and it's been almost 2 weeks and not once have I seen any of the 8 models they carry in stock. Maybe ocassionally one does become available and will sell out in a matter of minutes, so someone who plans to buy it (I don't) and has the time to hit F5 all day long can get one, but everyone else will find it next to impossible.

I'm suspecting that after the initial rush for 7970s, their sales have gone down enough that they might think that the damage caused by 680 is smaller than the damage they would take on 78xx whose prices would also need to be adjusted if 7970 goes to $450-$480, so they leave the prices put. Just guessing...

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Thats your main problem. There is no reason to even consider being brand loyal to any company

I believe that EVGA has the best warranty for video cards, so that is a definite reason to go with them. Also, as already mentioned, good experiences with quality and customer service are other great reasons to be brand loyal to a company, just like bad experiences in those areas are reasons to avoid companies.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
!. As long as production = demand they will not lower prices. The only way we can lower the prices is to not buy the 7900 and wait for the 680s instead.

2. I wonder if AMD has lowered prices and e-tailors haven't? Again, if #1 is true then they won't lower prices. Of course, I don't see any manufacturers mail in rebates. If AMD wanted to avoid the embarrassment of cutting prices they might go the MIR route.

mak360

Jan 23, 2012
Here we go again, the USA isn’t know it all or do it all of everything (no offense), if the 680 was such a success, why is it still available in the EU/UK after so many weeks since launch without Any replenishments? (Aka 1st shipment). The 7970 is CHEAPER than the 680 by 30+ pounds ($47.91 USD min) and is faster when overclocked.
I don’t see people scrambling towards the gtx680 as most here are claiming, they are not selling out apart from USA (Europeans have not been dumbed down as much or maybe it’s the recession taking its toll)

The HD7970 is the better buy in most parts of the world

I'm not sure how nationalism got mixed into a video card post, but let's just stop here. Technology does not require national boundaries to operate, and as a tech forum we're not here to discuss your opinions on international politics. On that note, the AT forums are open to all, but do keep in mind that it's primarily a North American forum, so discussions will primarily be based around NA pricing and availability.

-Thanks
ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

mak360

Jan 23, 2012
Interesting question, It really does seem like nvidia's CEO tends to air his dirty laundry in public too much and burns way too many bridges as a result. He's badmouthed TSMC, intel (and had his day in court with them), I dunno. Anyone partnering with intel to develop chips is a win though, because intel is lightyears ahead of everyone practically, they're doing 22nm when nobody else is even thinking about it. And haswell is nearly done as well.

i don`t see intel ever making chips for nvidia or any other competitor (Think ARM) as nvidia will finance its other projects which will compete with intel at some point with money provided form gpu sales

!. As long as production = demand they will not lower prices. The only way we can lower the prices is to not buy the 7900 and wait for the 680s instead.

2. I wonder if AMD has lowered prices and e-tailors haven't? Again, if #1 is true then they won't lower prices. Of course, I don't see any manufacturers mail in rebates. If AMD wanted to avoid the embarrassment of cutting prices they might go the MIR route.

i read somewhere AMD claiming its up-to the partners (e-tailors) and not AMD

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
According to reports their yields have been terrible, even at $600 they would be sold out. I'm totally fine with them not inflating the prices.

If they would still sell out at $600, they wouldn't be overpriced by basic definition. Any one individual might not find the price attractive, but one could make that argument for any price so it's rather pointless to debate.

I have no idea how limited their supplies are, so it's possible that even $100, wouldn't make much difference. Hopefully availability improves though.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Here we go again, the USA isn’t know it all or do it all of everything (no offense), if the 680 was such a success, why is it still available in the EU/UK after so many weeks since launch without Any replenishments? (Aka 1st shipment). The 7970 is CHEAPER than the 680 by 30+ pounds ($47.91 USD min) and is faster when overclocked.
I don’t see people scrambling towards the gtx680 as most here are claiming, they are not selling out apart from USA (Europeans have not been dumbed down as much or maybe it’s the recession taking its toll)

The HD7970 is the better buy in most parts of the world
Since I live in the US I am referring to the US. Assume an unwritten waiver at the bottom of my posts that says "answer variable depending on your region". And as far as us Americans being dumbed down, well, maybe, but at least we don't pay a ridiculous VAT.

I'm not sure how nationalism got mixed into a video card post, but let's just stop here. Technology does not require national boundaries to operate, and as a tech forum we're not here to discuss your opinions on international politics. On that note, the AT forums are open to all, but do keep in mind that it's primarily a North American forum, so discussions will primarily be based around NA pricing and availability.

-Thanks
ViRGE

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Well, [love] you then, AMD.

Sincerely, everybody.

Looks like a 680 will be joining IB in a few weeks.

Poorly censored profanity is no better than real profanity. We ask that you guys avoid the use of profanity entirely.
-Thanks
ViRGE

Since, AMD is actually cutting prices now, I will accept and incorporate Mr. Moderator's edits. (4-17-2012 edit)

Last edited:

mak360

Jan 23, 2012
Since I live in the US I am referring to the US. Assume an unwritten waiver at the bottom of my posts that says "answer variable depending on your region". And as far as us Americans being dumbed down, well, maybe, but at least we don't pay a ridiculous VAT.

We don`t have an option to opt-out (of VAT) unfortunately, not yet anyway.

Well, [love] you then, AMD.

Sincerely, everybody.

Looks like a 680 will be joining IB in a few weeks.

Erm, speak for yourself, although am glad you agree it wasn't a hard launch but a paper one (technically)

superjim

Jan 3, 2012
Once NV gets out their mid-range cards or even ramps up 680 production the 7000 series will see a price drop, at least in the US. If the price of the 680 and 7970 were even, it'd be a hard choice. The 680 is not a great OCer from everything I've read, not bad but not awesome either (mine in particular won't OC at all and may just be crashing at boost speeds, still testing, could be drivers).

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Once NV gets out their mid-range cards or even ramps up 680 production the 7000 series will see a price drop, at least in the US.

i.e. "In August, price drops are coming to a store near you!" :awe: