Prey FPS - I thought the Doom3 engine limited it to 60FPS?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I've been playing Prey; GREAT game. The voice acting leaves a bit to be desired, as does the storyline (linear with no options to make choices on what to do). But the game action/engine is great. Portals and the changing gravity are fantastic changes to the typical "Run and Gun" FPS genre.

I was reading up on console commands and read that the Doom3 engine which Prey uses is limited to 60FPS. Playing the game on the rig in my sig at 1280x1024, high everything, 16x AA, but NO AA yielded a FPS indicator that was rock solid at 60FPS. Sometimes it "stuttered" to 62-63FPS, but only for a split second.

This page of the recent AT 8800 article says otherwise on the FPS.

90+FPS? Can you really get higher than 60FPS on this game/Doom3 engine? FWIW, I have Doom3, but don't have it loaded ATM. I played it more than a year ago, but that was on a different box.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
you can use com_fixedtic -1 in the console to release it but it effs up the physics due to a timescaling issue.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
you can use com_fixedtic -1 in the console to release it but it effs up the physics due to a timescaling issue.

Wow, that's a pretty in-depth console hack. Cool. :cool: Funny thing is that in the AT article, they don't mention HOW they measured FPS (at least I didn't see it) nor do they mention using a console hack. But this isn't about bashing the article.

I was just curious as to whether or not it was POSSIBLE to go over 60FPS and apparently it is. I won't be testing it out though; I LOVE system stability.

I'm running Prey v1.3 and it's stable as a rock. No hangups, no game bugs, no weird clipping issues...nada. I'm getting my ass kicked, but that's OK...at least the game's not a pushover. ;)

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: 40sTheme

Wow, that's a pretty in-depth console hack. Cool. :cool: Funny thing is that in the AT article, they don't mention HOW they measured FPS (at least I didn't see it) nor do they mention using a console hack. But this isn't about bashing the article.

I was just curious as to whether or not it was POSSIBLE to go over 60FPS and apparently it is. I won't be testing it out though; I LOVE system stability.

I'm running Prey v1.3 and it's stable as a rock. No hangups, no game bugs, no weird clipping issues...nada. I'm getting my ass kicked, but that's OK...at least the game's not a pushover. ;)

Enjoy the ride; it gets INTENSE. And progressively more awesome.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Dude, that game is IMPOSSIBLE to find now. It was on sale at walmart for 15 bucks!!! I went to get it and the guy was there messing with the nintendo games and said that it was discontinued and taken off the selves. Seems Walmart uses Video Games like Magazines, if they dont sale they get sent back to the publisher.
sucks for me cause I would have played it for 15 dollars. Cause FPshooters never hold my attention very long.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
When you run benchmarks using game commands the framerate cap is automatically removed.