Question Previous Windows update installation question

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Going from 1803 to 1809 has killed a couple of applications I use frequently. Is there a way to acquire the 1803 update (legally) and roll my 1809 system back to it?
I have product and id keys for my system, I would hope Microsoft would just allow us to download and install previous builds if we wanted.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Under “Go back to previous version of Windows 10,” click the Get started button. ...
  5. Select a reason why you're uninstalling the October 2018 Update.
  6. Click the Next button.
  7. Click the No, thanks button.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Under “Go back to previous version of Windows 10,” click the Get started button. ...
  5. Select a reason why you're uninstalling the October 2018 Update.
  6. Click the Next button.
  7. Click the No, thanks button.
But it's been longer than 10 days. Will that still work?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I thought you just upgraded.

I have no idea whether it will work or not.
No no, sorry if I misled you with my question. This upgrade happened a couple of weeks ago if I'm not mistaken.
I've got a laptop still on 1803. Can I do anything with that? Make an ISO from it or something?

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I think you can download the 1803 (April Update) version of win 10 but you will need something called The Microsoft Windows and Office .iso Download Tool. You can get it from TechSpot and Major Geeks.

I also have a copy of the 1803 April Update win 10 on my hdd.

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I have, actually, a USB drive for installing Windows on a USB stick that I made earlier this year. How do I find out what version I made it with?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I don't know. Why not just download the 1803 version and do a fresh install?
Well, that's what I'm doing but I'm just thinking that if that's the one I have already, then I have a Macrium image I could just load up and have reinstalled in no time. Just wish there was a way to know what version it had.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Well, that's what I'm doing but I'm just thinking that if that's the one I have already, then I have a Macrium image I could just load up and have reinstalled in no time. Just wish there was a way to know what version it had.
Heres how: from a admin command prompt ( or Powershell - Admin) type of copy paste the command

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\Boot.wim /index:1

The Drive Letter E is what your USB drive will be that has windows on it, change to suit your drive letter:

Reactions: tinpanalley

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
1809 was the first update that DIDN'T do this for me. In each case but one, uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixed it. The one that didn't was an Asus app that wan't necessary anyway. My point is that rolling back is only going to be a short-term fix. I would recommend spending more effort looking/asking about how to make the current configuration work.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
1809 was the first update that DIDN'T do this for me. In each case but one, uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixed it. The one that didn't was an Asus app that wan't necessary anyway. My point is that rolling back is only going to be a short-term fix. I would recommend spending more effort looking/asking about how to make the current configuration work.
There is nothing that can be done about this program, as per the devs and I don't have even a drop of knowledge of how to do anything about it. It was developed under 1803 and simply won't work under 1809. The devs aren't updating it either so that's that. I haven't updated my Windows 10 laptop in a year and it works fine for my uses so a desktop that needs to spend more time on the last update doesn't bother me too much.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Does the program work with Windows 7 or 8? You might want to try running a virtual machine for that program. Even if you do get Windows 10 rolled back, the best you can get out of it is 6 months before the update is forced.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Does the program work with Windows 7 or 8? You might want to try running a virtual machine for that program. Even if you do get Windows 10 rolled back, the best you can get out of it is 6 months before the update is forced.
Oh really? Is there no way to stay on a previous version indefinitely??

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Two ways that I am aware of:
1. Disconnect from the Internet forever on that machine (local network or less only)
2. Only use the program on hardware that doesn't meet the system requirements for Windows 1809.

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Two ways that I am aware of:
1. Disconnect from the Internet forever on that machine (local network or less only)
2. Only use the program on hardware that doesn't meet the system requirements for Windows 1809.
Alright, good to know. Its a shame but good to know. The devs won't update this particular program for further Windows updates.