Presidential Debate #1

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'll be watching it. I don't care about the actual "debate" since no intelligent debate will be possible with Trump bullshitting the entire time he'll be on stage. However, I am genuinley curious how Biden is going to handle him. That is pretty much the only reason I'll be watching, I'm hoping Biden will spank him raw.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Debates need to be moderated more harshly.
Your mic is turned off entirely unless it is your turn to speak. You get a hard cut off when your allotted time is complete. No interrupting. No extra time. Just speak when it is your turn. How you choose to use that time is up to you.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'll be watching it. I don't care about the actual "debate" since no intelligent debate will be possible with Trump bullshitting the entire time he'll be on stage. However, I am genuinely curious how Biden is going to handle him. That is pretty much the only reason I'll be watching, I'm hoping Biden will spank him raw.

He needs to simply ignore him and his attempts to make it an argument and side show. Be professional. Dignified. And dare I say. Presidential. If you lower yourself to Trump's level - or even dignify him with an answer or response, you've lost and you're now playing his game. Biden (like Hilary did fairly well) needs to act like Trump isn't even there.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
He needs to simply ignore him and his attempts to make it an argument and side show. Be professional. Dignified. And dare I say. Presidential. If you lower yourself to Trump's level - or even dignify him with an answer or response, you've lost and you're now playing his game. Biden (like Hilary did fairly well) needs to act like Trump isn't even there.
Maybe. The mental image I had in mind was Joe looking directly at Trump, doing his signature laugh, and telling Trump that's a bunch of malarkey.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Trump is going to go straight for the jugular. With all of the attacks he has had to endure in the past week, Trump is going to come out swinging. It's going to be interesting. Biden has the reputation that he's old. It's why his nickname is dementia Joe. Will Trump actually call Joe Biden dementia or sleepy Joe. I think he might, because this is a tactic that he used during the 2016 debates. He called Jeb low energy. He called Nancy Pelosi crazy. He called Hillary crooked. His fan base will eat it up of course.

IMO, most Americans have already made up their minds on who they are voting for this election cycle. This is for the 5-10% undecided voters. Hopefully Joe doesn't mess this up.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Trump is going to go straight for the jugular. With all of the attacks he has to endure, Trump is going to come out swinging. It's going to be interesting. Biden has the reputation that he's old. It's why his nickname is dementia Joe. Will Trump actually call Joe Biden dementia or sleepy Joe. I think he might, because this is a tactic that he used during the 2016 debates. He called Jeb low energy. He called Nancy pelosi crazy. He called Hillary crooked. His fan base will eat it up of course.

IMO, most Americans have already made up their minds on who they are voting for this election cycle. This is for the 5-10% undecided voters. Hopefully Joe doesn't mess this up.
npr yesterday figured 6% undecided and only 1/3 of those live in competitive states. so big audience but narrow target.

and no, that's not joe's nickname.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've heard Trump's base call Joe dementia Joe. That is why I said it. It's not on this list though, but I could see Trump say it.

Trump fights unfairly. He doesn't care.

I've had friends try to suggest that Biden has dementia, which typically included some reference to someone that they knew that had dementia -- "He's just like they were!" I mentioned the remark that I heard about how some of his verbal flips could be attributed to quick attempts to avoid a stutter, and there was no having such a reason. "It's definitely dementia!"

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Unfortunately, I don't predict anything good coming from this.

The best hope is that Biden heads off Trump's attacks right away by declaring the dumb shit he's going to say and the reasons for it and that Biden portrays himself as the calm, consistent choice who entirely sticks to his plans to address the issues and completely disregards the content of what Trump says. When bugged about it, he can say "I told you at the start Trump was going to share these lies and why they aren't worth paying attention to" without actually addressing them. Trump of course will claim Biden is lying about everything, fake news media, etc. etc. I don't think Biden should go after Trump. If he enters the ring with him and expects to win, it's a mistake. He needs contrast, and he can't really do that unless he largely approaches this thing as if Trump isn't even there.

Unfortunately, Biden often struggles to speak clearly. And I think he's not capable of unhearing the muck. Rattled and defensive are not going to make him look calm and consistent.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I'll be watching it. I don't care about the actual "debate" since no intelligent debate will be possible with Trump bullshitting the entire time he'll be on stage. However, I am genuinley curious how Biden is going to handle him. That is pretty much the only reason I'll be watching, I'm hoping Biden will spank him raw.
It will be great to see Biden fail bigly when he doesn't have the protection of his basement or teleprompter.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Biden would be well served by moments of looking at Trump when he starts spouting nonsense, then Biden pauses, smiles, laughs, and says “What the hell are you talking about, that makes no sense at all!” Pick these moments carefully for when Trump is at full-ramble-wordsalad and just laugh out loud at him. Do this a few times. That should effectively derail Trump for the entire night.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
All Joe has to do is stand tall and be coherent.
Show up as a man that is not too old and senile.
Republicans have set the expectations that low.

Last edited: